tirsdag 5. april 2016

Battle Report #142: Kraye vs Ravyn

:: Prologue ::

Whereas the first game was over quickly, this one took quite a while longer. How on Earth could that happen with two such explosive lists? Read on!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Jeremiah Kraye - WJ: +6
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19 - Lightning Pod
- Stormwall - PC: 19 - Lightning Pod
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Gastone Crosse - PC: 3
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt: 4
Opponent:
Ravyn, The Eternal Light - WJ: +6
- Hyperion - PC: 18
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 0
Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Strike Force Commander - Commander 2
Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Strike Force Commander - Commander 2
Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
- Eiryss, Mage Hunter Commander - PC: 3
Stormfall Archers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Stormfall Archers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
THEME: Will of the Nine Voices - Tier 2

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

This time I went first. I wanted to set up with Full Tilt so I could possibly cycle it (with feat) T2 if he went aggressive on me. Apart from that I did largely the same as in the first game, deployment-wise, as did Retribution.


:: Game ::

Not wanting to start taking damage early I advanced outside of his range on the left. Without Snipe (Ravyn was too far away) this was easy to do. If Retribution had spread out more during AD then I would be unable to pull something like this off unless I stood completely more or less still.


Retribution fans out. Right Stormwall loses a couple of boxes.


This is a little interesting: With Ravyn going right I was hoping I could swing far right myself by cycling Full Tilt and thus keep his left-most unit out of the game for a turn. I had a big problem (literally): My very own Stormwall was blocking the spot I wanted the other Stormwall in! These issues only happen when you have something like Full Tilt to allow you to run 20" with a colossal and thus I've never had this problem before. So anyway I move the support models away and run the left colossal. Kraye cycles Full Tilt and the second Stormwall charges in and clears a few MHSF with e-leaps and pod.


Compared to game 1, the MHSF were a lot more spread out. This meant that I didn't get any work out of my Stormcallers in my second turn, which inherently meant that a -lot- of MHSF were still alive. They showed me this by simply killing off the Stormwall which charged in. That complicates things. Narn charged Kraye but did nothing.


The idea is to drag the game out and hopefully get a bead on Hyperion. Kraye kills Narn and Full Tilts the Stormwall. It charges in and kills off MHSF again. A+H set up nearby. Stormcallers run deep behind my lines. 


Stormwall is brought down to ~15 boxes or so. SFA really, -really- hurt.


I upkeep Full Tilt, feat and boost both Carbine Damage shots onto Hyperion, following Kiss from Aiyana. The Stormwall goes in and barely manages to finish Hyperion off. Dice +3 is a thing for sure but my rolls surely weren't bad here. Kraye's 2 shots were crucial. I also got a couple of decent triangulation attacks. Kraye was super-exposed but we were long past caring about that. It's not like I was up, exactly!


Ravyn feats and the Stormwall goes down. The remaining models try for Kraye but only scratch him. Perhaps the game is alive?


A couple of turns see us trade blows. I land a couple of decent Arcane Blasts which nearly makes it interesting but aiming SFA hit me on 7s if I don't have DEF bonuses (of which there are few when you need to just go for maximum offensive potential). I could've made ride-by-attacks but I also needed to threaten with my position because scenario was becoming an issue!


Eventually it boils down to this. Kraye has 2 boxes left. I kill off everything but 2 MHSF models and Ravyn and ride-by-attack to the trench behind my flag. I heal for 1, so back to 3 boxes. A+H are nearby as well, stealthed. Ravyn goes for the kill and her MHSF finally spike to take Kraye down in the 6th or 7th round of the game. There were 7 models left on the table.

Krayze.

:: Evaluation ::

My opponent certainly took a lot away from the first game as well! In dispersing his Strike force more and towards the flanks, he made it impossible to strike a decisive blow. The Stormcallers were also left largely ineffective. By the time they got to the party they had too little impact on the game.

This is definitely an uphill battle. Stormfall Archers with Brutal Shots do tons of damage to Stormwalls without Arcane Shield (which, let's face it, they won't have when they go in because Full Tilt is up). I do believe there is more to be learned about positioning and getting the force to work more cohesively. In both of these games I largely tried to use the Stormwalls independently. If they go together they might get more work done and set up other angles. With Full Tilt cycled my mobility is insane, as evidenced by my movements in the second turn, but I need to plan ahead to utilize it fully and gain local superiority on one point of the table.

I also have a couple of ideas with regards to Stormcallers and getting more work out of them.

Lastly I'm not sure Eiryss2 and Gastone are the right fit for this list. They are utility models but expensive ones at that when I've gone for the double Stormwall approach. Now granted Ravyn is a bit of an insane matchup for them but still. 6 points could be B13th + Gorman (to make said B13th Stealth for example or cover Kraye next to a Stormwall, or Alexia2 + Taryn. Will keep an eye on the performance and synergy of the list choices!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar