søndag 7. februar 2016

Battle Report #84: Stryker2 vs Durst

:: Prologue ::

Half the reason I played Haley3 into Kromac2 instead of sending out Stryker2 again was that I wanted to test Stryker vs Protectorate today. Since both casters need practice I found this to be a decent middle-ground. The next game then was all Mr. Patriot's to take away: Facing Durst's ARM-skew it would be balls to the wall and sparks flying. Read on!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Lord Commander Stryker - WJ: +6
- Squire
- Ol' Rowdy - PC: 9
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 3
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 2
- Charger - PC: 4
Stormblade Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
Sword Knights - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
- Sword Knight Officer & Standard - PC: 2
- Stormclad - PC: 10
- Stormclad - PC: 10
Opponent:
Anson Durst, Rock of the Faith - WJ: +6
- Hierophant
- Judicator - PC: 18
- Reckoner - PC: 8
- Reckoner - PC: 8
Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1
Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 2
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 2
Wrack - PC: 1
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 2
Holy Zealots - Leader and 9 Grunts: 6
- Monolith Bearer - Monolith Bearer 2

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Outflank and Protectorate gets first turn. I set up for what I intend to have as a T2 push.


:: Game :: 

Zealots flank out, rest move up centrally.


I set up for T2.


The Protectorate show me how hard they can shoot. Ol' Rowdy goes down. Wow, didn't expect quite that much. With Zealots mini-feating and Durst going B2B with Judicator and feating as well I was left with a pickle: What to do?


I decided to go all out and try to get both the Reckoners with 3d6 Overload, using Velocity + Feat to get away. Stryker took apart one almost on his own and with the jacks + infantry coming in after the second -nearly- went down as well. Nearly is not enough however and I didn't score any points.


Unfortunately Stryker had taken too much damage from Overload and when Durst cleared the Sword Knights in front of Judicator with his Pow12 aoe thingy the colossal was able to move up and take out Stryker with its spray attacks. Game was good.

:: Evaluation ::

I should've sacrificed my charger and taken the hill as "Fort Stryker" T1. In doing that I could've allowed Durst to move ahead on scenario. His threat range is abysmal compared to mine and if I don't move in on his feat turn I deal a -ton- more damage. By having Rowdy taken out so early I was afraid I'd lose on attrition if I didn't commit. I'm not sure I could've opted to bide my time given that Rowdy was down. Possibly, by using his wreck marker. I could also have contested the right zone with the Charger in the woods for example. However finding the right balance of aggressive play and cautious play is crucial to master Stryker2. Thus far I've erred on the side of aggro, it's time to take a step back and look for more conservative openings.

Stryker2 is hard to play, but I'm learning more and more. So different from all our other casters!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar