onsdag 17. februar 2016

Battle Report #93: Haley2 vs Kromac2

:: Prologue ::

Following a recent, brief discussion on the viability of playing Haley2 vs Kromac2 I was eager to test it out myself. I was lucky to get the matchup sooner than I thought I could and we were all set for Destruction!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 8
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Gastone Crosse - PC: 3
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - PC: 2
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr - Lynus & Edrea: 3
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt: 4
Tactical Arcanist Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Opponent:
Kromac, Champion of the Wurm - WB: +4
- Druid Wilder
- Ghetorix - PC: 11
- Warpwolf Stalker - PC: 10
- Warpwolf Stalker - PC: 10
- Rotterhorn Griffon - PC: 4
- Gorax - PC: 4
Blackclad Wayfarer - PC: 2
Druids of Orboros - Leader & 5 Grunts: 7
- Druid of Orboros Overseer - Overseer 2
Shifting Stones - Leader & 2 Grunts: 2

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

I was going first and my idea was to claim the middle as soon as possible and slowly spread out on the left flank to create a catch22 for him: Either contest me in scenario (and open up to my shooting) or leave me with points. By deploying TAC slightly to the right of my center I was intending to create a "Fort Haley" near the zone to jump in if points were available.


:: Game ::

A+H and Eiryss on the left flank. Dougal, proxied by Gorman, a little too far right. Lesson noted. Thorn behind Effigy for Cover + it makes it impossible to pull him.


Kromac's forces take refuge behind the forest.


Originally I wanted to hold my feat here but the opening was just too good: I could wade ahead on both flanks -and- the middle and wipe out tons of Druids + a Stalker. Covered by the feat he would have a very difficult decision to make with regards to presenting himself in the open for attrition or leaving me with a 3-0 opening. Dougal used Double Powder Rations and the mercs + B13th (with Deadeye) shot up the Druids. The Stormwall with Temporal and full focus moved up and killed the Stalker.


Kromac moves closer and Ghetorix contests. Interesting!


With Druids fleeing there is no counter-magic up. Stones jammed me but with Kiss + Mercs they die quick enough. I send in Thorn on suicide-duty. He pulls in the Stalker, sends Ghetorix out of the zone (both with TK) and Time Bombs Kromac to hit all 3 heavy hitters. The mercs + b13th kill the stones, Stormwall kills objective and Haley sits in the zone for 3-0. I also brought the second Stalker down to ~10 boxes or so with shooting. This list hits like a ton of bricks from a distance!


Thorn dies, Kromac feats, zone is jammed thoroughly with Ghetorix having Lightning Strike to sit on Thorn's cover.


Squire runs up. Haley charges Kromac. TK boosted on Ghetorix misses (10+ re-roll). Wow. Stalker is telekinesed out. Stormwall moves up and power strikes Ghetorix out of the zone. 5-0.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation :: 

I anticipated this matchup to be heavily in Haley's favor. Basically, I don't think Kromac has enough defensive tech to keep his army safe from all the shooting while he lacks means to work around Haley's control. The stones are, by and large, the biggest problem for Haley. They are highly predictable and I find that often you can set up for taking them out during feat turn. I did that in this game as well. If he had chosen not to jam with the stones and keep them defensive I could've shot them down and Time Bombed the hitters.

It should also be noted that the forest in the zone made things a lot harder for me than they often are. Kromac + Ghetorix could chill out there, safe from the shooters, and still threaten the Stormwall because of LoS to Colossals rules.

It is possible that Kromac can approach this differently. If so, I don't know how. The problem boils down to the simple fact that 2 heavy hitters is needed to neutralize the Stormwall. One typically goes down to feat, another is typically shot up. That leaves 1 and 1 is not enough. On top of this, Time Bomb is disastrous, Druids die like flies if they want to accomplish anything other than hanging back and Haley has the upper hand in scenario play. I am open to different Kromac2-approaches but having played this I'm confident Haley at the very least has a strong game into him.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar