lørdag 5. november 2016

Battle Report #337: Haley3 vs Severius2

:: Prologue ::

One of the Protectorate casters I fear the most with Haley3 is Severius2. Awareness, free spell, +2 attack roll on first spell channeled from Blessing, Ashes-to-ashes and Oracular Vision all seem like they are problematic for Haley3 to face. Nevertheless, I need to try this out if I want Haley3 to be my Protectorate drop!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
(Severius 2) Hierarch Severius [+26]
 - Blessing of Vengeance [13]
 - Reckoner [16]
 - Reckoner [16]
 - Redeemer [11]
 - Scourge of Heresy [16]
 - Hierophant [3]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
Choir of Menoth (max) [6]
Vassal Mechanik [1]
Vassal of Menoth [3]
Wrack [1]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Visgoth Juviah Rhoven & Honor Guard [9]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Line Breaker and I am going first. I really don't know what to do here so my plan is to bumrush one flank and the middle and take it from there.


:: Game ::

I run stuff up, casting Supremacy via Thorn to get him up behind the central obstruction.


Severius puts Blessing on the right flank and the 2 Reckoners B2B in the center to deny me a chance to try and scatter on his Choir and stuff.


My problem here is that Scourge, Oracular and Arcane Ward (currently on Blessing) makes him practically immune to magic whereas Passage means I cannot shoot. I have to close the gap. My plan is to cast Ghost Walk twice to reaction drive Thorn and charge Blessing. Disrupting him stops the worst Ashes to Ashes shenanigans. Trenchers run and jam and the rest get into position. I put up Arcane Shield on Thorn: If he wants to go for the kill here he needs to commit Severius so I ensure a ton of hurt if he does do so.


Severius decides to go for Thorn personally. He kills him and puts up Arcane Ward on himself, camping 2. Blessing moves up a bit. Rhoven's boys move within 3" for SG duty. Severius feated killing Trenchers.


I go for Severius. I might have a decent attrition play here but this assassination opening is pretty big. Besides, I think the entire game at this point in time is based around mistakes so my lessons learned are already over with. Aaaanyway, Past Force Hammers the Blessing onto Severius for KD niceness (Prime was in a spot to follow up if Past didn't roll high enough), Prime, Charger, Future and Grenadier follow up with their shots and Severius bites the dust.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Severius' army is practically immune to both shooting and magic. The only thing Severius needs to do is keep Blessing alive and keep forcing me to stay within hurt-range but outside of my melee range. Awareness ensures clouds are useless and he has tons of damage at a distance.

My take away then is that this is largely unplayable for my list. On top of all of the above, Severius' feat can take out my key models once I get into position (including Ragman) -and- Oracular Vision is extremely powerful in robbing me of what melee power I end up reaching him with.

The key factor in this game is Severius committing to taking out Thorn of course, which comes from Blessing being placed on the flank. I think that with Blessing in a safer spot it's very hard for me to find an opening which enables me anything close to this. In fact even with Blessing engaged as we were I think Severius' play should be to concentrate on the attrition in the center. Spending focus to boost and kill Lances feels a lot better (and Ragman of course!).

Perhaps the Protectorate matchup boils down to a game of list chicken, I don't know. Interesting set of games for sure!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar