mandag 28. november 2016

Battle Report #351: Haley2 vs Coven

:: Prologue ::

As part of our WTC preparations I played 2 games yesterday with the Haleys. First up was Haley2 vs Coven. We had a crazy map which was in Coven's favour by far. My idea going into this game was to try and slow the game down as much as possible as I believe attrition is in my favour if I can just control the pace of the game. Seeing as I don't face Cryx very often this would be interesting!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley2) Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25 Fuel Cache
- Squire - PC: 5
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
The Witch Coven of Garlghast - WJ: +26
- Egregore
- Skarlock Thrall - PC: 4
- Barathrum - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Deathripper - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Deathjack - PC: 23 (Battlegroup Points Used: 5)
Necrotech - PC: 2
Machine Wraith - PC: 2
Machine Wraith - PC: 2
Bane Warriors - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
Soulhunters - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18
Satyxis Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
- Satyxis Raider Sea Witch - PC: 3

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Recon with a big house in the very middle. Great, I am forced to commit Stormwall. Cryx gets first turn. I commit Stormwall opposite Satyxis as I want to control them with pod + eleaps and covering fires. I spread Lances out so as not to commit too heavily.


:: Game ::

Cryx run up. Soulhunters receive Occultation, Barathrum receives Infernal Machine. DJ goes B2B with Egregore for Stealth and Veil is put down to prevent Thorn being, well, Thorn.


I basically cannot effectively deal with the Soulhunters so I have to simply stay out of their threat range and try and get work done on the left flank. True to my plan I move for a slow game with pod + eleaps and TA on the Firefly. Deflection for good measure and right flank is very careful.


Coven try their best to move up, army covered by feat. Soulhunters move in, one gets the charge on the Ironclad. No significant damage done. No Witches on any flags.


I gotta counter-feat here and start clearing stuff out. There is no opening to get heavies now but I don't think I need it. TA on the Firefly and pod + electro leaps again lead to Satyxis dying in droves. Thorn and Ironclad take out 4 Soulhunters, great success!


Cryx simply reposition under Shift. One Witch goes on the flag. 1-0.


I have finally killed enough to start dealing with heavies. I am way up on attrition but I get too greedy and kill too many models instead of building Haley a proper fort. Barathrum goes does...


...but the Deathripper has an angle to run 14" up and see Haley. Poor play on my part and I get rightfully punished as the Coven kill me with spells.

Sadly, a loss for the Swans. 

:: Evaluation ::

The central house makes this game so hard. I can't threaten the zone, I can't effectively get to the heavies, I can't shift the Stormwall. Crazy maps are a part of WTC so getting some practice on wacky setups might not be the worst idea.

Cryx commit a bit too much in a couple of situations in this match, Raiders on the left and Soulhunters + Warriors on the right. The Coven has one job and that is rushing the right flag with Witches. Playing a bit more conservatively allows this I think. The way the game evolved all I had to do was protect Haley. I failed to do so but if I had built the fort properly I most likely would've won. Regardless, a well protected arc node coupled with a keen eye for angles let my opponent capitalize my mistake and he got a deserved win.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar