tirsdag 29. mars 2016

Battle at Lund: Invitationals #3 (#133): Haley2 vs Skarre1

:: Prologue ::

For the Invitationals semi-finals I was paired against Anders again, my Cryx opponent from the semi-finals on Saturday. This time he dropped Skarre1 McThrall-recursion into Haley2.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 8
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Gastone Crosse - PC: 3
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 1
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt: 4
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Opponent:
Pirate Queen Skarre - WJ: +6
- Skarlock Thrall
- Cankerworm - PC: 5
- Stalker - PC: 4
General Gerlak Slaughterborn - PC: 3
Satyxis Raider Captain - PC: 2
Saxon Orrik - PC: 2
Warwitch Siren - PC: 2
Warwitch Siren - PC: 2
Bloodgorgers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
Mechanithralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 3
Mechanithralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 3
Mechanithralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 3
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls - Necrosurgeon & 3 Grunts: 2
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls - Necrosurgeon & 3 Grunts: 2
Satyxis Blood Witches - Leader & 5 Grunts: 4
- Satyxis Blood Hag - Satyxis Blood Hag 2
Satyxis Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Satyxis Raider Sea Witch - Satyxis Raider Sea Witch 2

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Two Fronts and I went first. Going first here is a little risky because of the scenario angle but if all else fails I can feat to prevent it. He also has to get the last 2 points as well, i.e. simply getting into my zone and taking out the objective isn't enough. I put ATGM behind my zone, Haley behind his (for terrain purposes) and the Stormwall centrally.


:: Game ::

Thorn runs up far to threaten angles on Necrosurgeons. The infantry spread out wide so that everything can move to where I need it without traffic jam issues.


Cankerworm more or less sacrifices itself to tie up Thorn. Stalker runs towards Eiryss2. It's clear from my opponent's play that he expects me to feat in turn 2. My plan is not to. Satyxis take up the central hill. Wonderful!


3 focus on Thorn, rest on Haley. Thorn hits Cankerworm and deals quite a bit of damage. Haley then TKs him out and with Reaction Drive he is standing in a position where the Cankerworm is the only one who can reach him and it lost its cortex. Lynch puts a brutal into it as well for good measure while Ryan Mage Storms a pod on the hill to murder Satyxis who find out that her Mage Storm isn't blast damage, much to their dismay. The Stormwall had put up covering fires as well and the POW12 wall is just glorious. Deadeyed ATGM remove the rest of the immediate threats and I am very happy with my position, as opposed to me not feating vs Deneghra yesterday when I should have (or moved back as I did here).


Cankerworm moves to Thorn and deals 6 boxes or so with help from Dark Guidance and Feat. Stalker runs towards Eiryss but it's too far away. Satyxis try their luck through the POW12 wall with ARM17 but they all die. Killing Cryx in their own turn? Doesn't get much better than that!


Now it's feat time. The Stormwall moves up as Shift covers it to deal damage and the carnage is beautiful. My only problem is that I cannot get to the Necrosurgeons because they are too far back with too many models they can sacrifice while Thorn is still engaged. I send Gastone up to shoot the Stalker and prevent it from reaching Haley. Eiryss disrupts it. B13th try for the Trolls but tough is a thing. Ryan Mage Storms in a central position.


With no intent to do damage, Anders swiftly moves up to jam and block scenario angles.


I try for a scenario angle regardless and boost a pod to take out a Necrosurgeon but I brainfart with target selection from the Stormwall as it kills off a Troll in the center instead of a McThrall in the zone. I hoped Deadeyed ATGM could take the Thrall but 3 shots at 9+ to hit couldn't do it. Stalker is still not dead but at least the Cankerworm is out of the game.


An effort is made to kill off the Stormwall and what Anders has left in range charges it. It loses 25 boxes or so, evenly spread out. Skarre runs to hide.


At this point we're both low on time so I have to stop the pictures. ATGM panicked to Gerlak but B13th kill him. Thorn clears the rest near him and the Stormwall kills a couple. I shift Arcane to Haley and finally kill the Stalker.

My opponent responds with a desperate gamble: Skarre runs up with 10 focus to threaten assassination. Haley Time Bombs + TKs her. Eiryss makes the 3+ shot to strip her of her focus and A+H and Gastone kill her.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Finals again?! Crazy!

I feel I played this game well and had control throughout. I got a little stressed when I didn't score 3 points but truly it didn't matter because he didn't nearly have enough left to make a dent. The Skarre assassination threat move shows the position my opponent was in: Banking on Haley missing an 8+ with a re-roll and lucky charm or Eiryss missing her 3+ is extreme, even for a long shot. The one mistake that bothers me was the Stormwall not targeting the McThrall, this would've given me 3 points and I could've played even safer when Skarre came a-running. 

I was exhausted after this game though as this was a long grind where I finished the game on 8 minutes or so left on the clock. It felt closer than it probably was but the clock is always an issue if you get low enough. Even though Anders had less time than me he had less models to move and could literally complete a turn in a minute. I kept my cool though and didn't stress out. I believe this is an important part of the game as tight/long games will often see you down to just a few minutes left. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar