søndag 13. mars 2016

Battle Report #113: Haley3 vs Axis

:: Prologue ::

Last game of the day and I've played so much Haley2 lately that Haley3 really just needs some practice. I had a chance to go up against Convergence and I was eager to see how Haley3 would do there. I was facing a recursion-based list, interesting. I've never played a recursion-heavy variant before.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +3
- Squire
- Charger - PC: 4
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Haley Future - PC: 0
Haley Past - PC: 0
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 2
Captain Maxwell Finn - PC: 3
Ragman - PC: 2
Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire - PC: 4
Viktor Pendrake - PC: 2
Savio Montero Acosta - PC: 3
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 11
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Horgenhold Forge Guard - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Captain Jonas Murdoch - Murdoch 2
Opponent:
Axis, the Harmonic Enforcer - WJ: +6
- Inverter - PC: 8
- Conservator - PC: 7
- Corollary - PC: 3
Enigma Foundry - PC: 2
Enigma Foundry - PC: 2
Enigma Foundry - PC: 2
Enigma Foundry - PC: 2
Obstructors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
Obstructors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
Obstructors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
Reductors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
Clockwork Angels - Leader & 2 Grunts: 3
Clockwork Angels - Leader & 2 Grunts: 3
THEME: Sustained Attack - Tier 4

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Close Quarters with troops coming back on both sides. Well, ok! Let's see how this works. I put down Alexia2 and Acosta on one flank, hoping to control that, and Storm Lances on the other.


:: Game ::

My things moved up but I realized I had taken a poor side when all my things got completely clogged in between a piece of impassable and a forest. Haley2 played so much better on this map just a few days ago! Weird thing, that.


Shield Walls across the board.


Storm Lances try a cheeky ride-by attack on the left flank. It doesn't work when I miss my 7+. I chill out on the right flank and in hte center. I probably should have pushed my clouds further this turn.


Axis counters with feat and a wall which insta-kills infantry. Haha, not good >.<


I can see my future and it's not bright because I'm essentially stuck. I back off and hope I can get some work done on the right flank with Alexia (Acosta in support). Charger + Junior gives her 3 souls but when she moves up and spawns 3 Thralls they are useless and I don't get more souls up. ARM19 is probably not enough in this situation.


Axis moves into the center of the table to consolidate his grip on me. Alexia2 dies and with her, my hopes of anything but a desperate assassination.


Axis sits on 2 focus so there's a hail mary run with Haley feating. Past Force Hammers a jack into him for KD. Future boosts 3 shots. One is taken by a shield guard. Prime can't get in range for Force Hammer so she Force Hammers something else instead so he takes collateral. At least I boost a POW12. Junior follows up and Trenchers CRA. He is down to 1 box and it's Finn who ends up being the hero when he rolls the 9+ to take out his last box.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

This was not a deserved win and the only reason I got away with it was because my opponent had never played Haley3 before and didn't know how powerful Future shoots. Axis could've moved to the flag and would've won the grind. 

Apart from picking the wrong side I spread out Forge Guard too little. They should've gotten March to spread out wide and Storm Lances should've been with Alexia to clear my "strong" flank. I think such a formation would've been better here. 

It's good to face new things and it's good to practice Haley3 some more. The list has potential and I think this could be a game but it needs to be approached differently. His feat was a bigger counter to my list than I had realized but by having Lances put up pressure earlier that might not matter as much. 

2 kommentarer:

  1. I have actually played against H3 once before, but that was into Lucant and Future Haley was unable to do much shooting.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Gotcha. Discovering a ROF3 POW13 gun as part of an assassination run is something that tends to stick, in my experience ;)

      Slett