onsdag 2. mars 2016

Battle Report #104: Haley2 vs Makeda2

:: Prologue ::

Following a systematic destruction in game 1, my opponent wanted to try a more freight-train inspired approach with 4 heavies, including Molik Karn. I was eager for a different challenge where Makeda2 was at the helm, the abilities she brings to help her beasts move quicker can potentially be a problem. Let's get to it!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 8
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Gastone Crosse - PC: 3
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - PC: 2
Lynus Wesselbaum & Edrea Lloryrr - Lynus & Edrea: 3
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt: 4
Tactical Arcanist Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Opponent:
Supreme Archdomina Makeda - WB: +5
- Molik Karn - PC: 11
- Bronzeback Titan - PC: 10
- Titan Gladiator - PC: 8
- Titan Sentry - PC: 9
Praetorian Karax - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
Nihilators - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 3

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Same scenario and I lose roll-off again. Skorne moves first. I pre-deploy Stormwall in the center but with the hitters going on my left I put Haley on my right. This forces him to commit the infantry early, if not he'll risk 0-3 under Shift bottom of 2.


:: Game ::

With a little +2" move abilities thrown around he advances up quite a lot. Infantry go up in the middle and on the right flank.


I Time Bomb the one in front, hitting Molik Karn and an infantry model as well. I boost damage on the hyper aggressive titan and shoot it up with what's in range. It has 9 boxes left. I mage storm + covering fire block again.


The damaged Titan moves back and the sentry moves up. Molik Karn stays in a position where he's hard to reach with Thorn but can potentially get into the Stormwall. Not to worry, he has to roll ridiculously high to do significant damage.


So I focus on the Sentry with TK + Time Bomb and shoot it up so that one as well is down to ~10 boxes. Only Molik can get into either Thorn or the Stormwall. I reckon Makeda is too far away for Molik to be able to launch an assassination run into Haley. Maybe a mistake because of her massive SPD boosts and indeed Haley could very well have been 2" or so further behind.


Regardless, Molik goes for Stormwall. He does about 30 boxes or so. I'm fine with that. Makeda feats.


I put 4 focus on Stormwall. Thorn moves into Molik. Haley TKs him out. My army kills him with shooting. Temporaled Stormwall charges the Gladiator and kills both heavies + a few support models with pod + eleaps. Haley feats.


The last heavy charges in and kills the Stormwall. Makeda backs off.


I kill the last Warbeast and cloud Haley in, putting Dougal on the edge to ensure Makeda can't get vision to her easily.


With only Makeda and a single Beast Handler left, my opponent concedes.

:: Evaluation :: 

This time the timing was a lot better than in game 1 but there's still a big gap that has to be crossed where he has to stagger his beasts to avoid them getting Time Bombed. This creates strategical depth which Molik can benefit from but it's just no-where near enough. At least not the way this played out. It's possible there are other angles of attack for him to consider, I don't know. The issue is the continuous Time Bomb + focus fire on whatever's closest, before I suddenly mop up 3 Skorne heavies (!) in a single turn. Shift is also an amazing ability here which basically lets me play however I want to. Skorne also has to respect this.

The one mistake I made that could've cost me the game was not having Haley further behind. A Molik assassination run wasn't necessarily impossible because of Engine of Destuction + Road to War, which would've brought Makeda far up the table. I didn't realize until after Haley had activated that Molik would have tons of targets for Side Step. That ability is amazing for setting up domino assassination runs and I need to beware of it.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar