søndag 13. mars 2016

Battle Report #111: Haley2 vs Asphyxious2

:: Prologue ::

Long time, no Cryx. With Cryx being so common, it's a pity I don't get to play against them more than I do. Today I finally had a crack at it again at least! Let's get to it.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 8
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Gastone Crosse - PC: 3
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 1
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyana & Master Holt: 4
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Opponent:
Lich Lord Asphyxious - WJ: +6
- Nightwretch - PC: 4
- Helldiver - PC: 3
Warwitch Siren - PC: 2
Saxon Orrik - PC: 2
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 2
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - PC: 2
Bane Lord Tartarus - PC: 4
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 2
Satyxis Blood Witches - Leader & 5 Grunts: 4
- Satyxis Blood Hag - Satyxis Blood Hag 2
Bane Thralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
- Bane Thrall Officer & Standard - Bane Thrall Officer & Standard 3
Bane Knights - Leader & 9 Grunts: 10
Bile Thralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
- Skarlock Commander - PC: 1
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls - Necrosurgeon & 3 Grunts: 2
Mechanithralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 3

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

My Haley2 list begs the question: How much shooting can you take before you start missing other elements? The idea going into this game was to put this to the test and upon seeing the big spam across the table I was sure this would be interesting. Compared to what I've taken this far, I'm basically trading Lynus & Edrea, TAC and Dougal for ATGM and Reinholdt. 

We were playing Recon and I went second. I pre-deployed a little to the right, anticipating Gaspy to skew left. He didn't though and we largely ended up opposite each other.


:: Game ::

Cryx run.


I send my army forwards. ATGM spread out far and wide. On the opposite side Ryan shoots off a mage storm and I put up covering fire to force Banes to take the long way if they want a piece of the action. Thorn is there as well as Gastone, the rest are on my right flank. Haley stays far back.


My opponent goes for an interesting approach: He kills off 10 of his own models to feat them back and get them into the Stormwall. It survives on a single box (!), its Cortex.


With Gaspy's feat out the Knights are dead and the Stormwall will be dead next turn. I decide to make the best of it and use the Stormwall in a forward position so as to create space. I keep Haley back and hold my feat, assigning 4 focus to the 'wall. ATGM receive Deadeye and blast apart on the right flank. B13th + Gastone clear the middle and Stormwall wraps it up, taking out the objective for a 2-0 lead.


Without Gaspy feat, down 0-2 and Haley's feat still being up, on top of an inability to threaten anything (his arc node even died from having been in a position to Parasite the Stormwall), my opponent didn't see much of a way out. He played out his turn to see if he could get anything useful done. When he could not he conceded and we started again instead.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

The game was cut off shortly after we started because of the feat-take-out-stormwall-move. I doubt this is worth it because on top of killing his own models (saving me from doing so), his other models actually doing the killing waste their opportunity to go ahead as well (most committed suicide by walking into Mage Storm though). It is a trick to keep in mind, but most of the time I think there are better options. 

While Covering Fire is great vs Cryx, the Stormwall struggles to justify its 19-point investment without any big targets on the table. Typically Cryx bring some things that are heavy, be it cavalry, the Deathjack or whatever. When they don't, I suspect Cygnar is far from the only faction investing ineffectively in big guns (no pun intended). 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar