lørdag 2. januar 2016

Battle Report #55 - Haley2 vs Saeryn & Rhyas (50)

:: Prologue ::

The gaming start in 2016 continues! Today I was facing Legion, a Warlock (or pair of Warlocks, rather) I haven't faced before: Saeryn & Rhyas! Always excited to meet new things I brought my intended Legiondrop: Haley2 and her trusty doublewall.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Tactical Arcanist Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Opponent:
Saeryn - WB: +1
- Rhyas, Talons of Everblight
- Raek - PC: 4
- Raek - PC: 4
- Zuriel - PC: 10
- Scythean - PC: 9
- Shredder - PC: 2
The Forsaken - PC: 2
The Forsaken - PC: 2
Blighted Nyss Hex Hunters - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Bayal, Hound of Everblight - Bayal, Hound of Everblight 3
Strider Blightblades - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Swamp Gobbers Bellows Crew - Leader & 1 Grunt: 1

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We were playing Recon and I lost the roll-off. Legion elected to go first and I took the side with a hill. Strider Blightblades ambushed. I pre-deployed Stormwalls symmetrically with the bonded 'wall on my assumed strong flank. This turned out to be true post-Legion deploy so I sent ATGM far flank and TAC next to the right Stormwall. 


:: Game ::

Legion runs up. Occultation goes up on Saeryn & Rhyas. Hex Hunters spread out.


I put 4 focus on the bonded 'wall and give it temporal. The other 'wall runs. Bondwall shoots the Scythean with boosts, boosts and boosts. I think it lost 10-15 boxes. However I forget the ambushers and my ATGM are kind of far out...


...leading to 3 deaths and a couple of jams. Not good. Hex Hunters roll terribly and can't even hit Stormwalls (!).


With only a Raek and 3 Hex Hunters contesting the zone I think it's time for the classical bottom-T2-Haley-feat-3-points move. I put 4 focus on the bonded Stormwall and pull one from the squire. The other Stormwall receives 2. The right Stormwall activates, moves up so as to be within the trench and b2b with my objective. It starts shooting (because I re-roll missed fails) and kill them all with the pod finishing it off. Haley then moves up, puts Deadeye on ATGM and feats. TAC move up and clear Hex Hunters. Junior tries to unjam an ATGM but fails. ATGM move up and I try and Thunderbolt the Raek out of the zone but I miss him despite having Deadeye. Due to clumsily moving the TAC in their optimal path I had one, maybe 2, who were just out of range that could possibly have been in otherwise.

The remaining Stormwall charges in. kills the objective and starts working on Rhyas as I can't reach the Raek. I buy 2 boosted attacks, needing 11s because of tenacity and fail them both. I was hoping she'd have to either feat or transfer some juicy damage here.


Not much to do under Haley feat apart from Rhyas taking off ~25-30 boxes from my Stormwall. Arcane Shield was up as the Blightblade failed to hit junior (the Legion infantry rolled crap throughout the game).


How to start scoring? Well, priority number one would be to remove the Blightblades for sure and get Haley to my flag. I gave Haley 4 focus, intending to charge-TK and camp 2. The Stormwalls spread the remaining. ATGM got deadeye and this time I managed to Thunderbolt stuff out of the zone while the bondwall killed Rhyas. 3-0.


Zuriel moves up to try to spray on Haley but she is too far out. I wonder if charging a Forsaken might've given it the necessary distance. It's a longshot but my control is -very- established at this point in time. So anyway it fails. Scythean and a feated Rhyas brings the bondwall down to 3 boxes, ironically those 3 boxes contain movement, cortex and the right arm. Couldn't have asked for more! Forsaken runs to contest.


Bondwall power strikes out the Scythean, other Stormwall kills Raek with shooting and I kill the Forsaken with pod + Haley, bringing me to 5 points.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Interesting game against new things! Melee-oriented Legion rarely works well against Haley in my experience and this was no exception although the shenigans, affinity and stealth were all issues. Indeed Zuriel was lacking ~2-3" in the end so she might've made it by charging one of her own models. This is a nasty combo I have to bear in mind.

The ambushers obviously made my life way more exciting than they should have in this game. I'm glad they didn't do more damage but their rolls were quite terrible. Hopefully I'll keep the mental note in mind to avoid table edges when up against melee-ambushers.

Overall the typical scenario strategy worked well here. I think my barrage of the Scythean in turn 1 put the pressure on Legion (as well it should) but then again I felt Legion was coming into the game from a very defensive position after their T1 was complete. I'd have struggled more if more beasts had been centrally placed and perhaps had occultation on the Scythean instead of Saeryn & Rhyas.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar