søndag 31. januar 2016

Battle Report #79: Stryker2 vs Makeda2

:: Prologue ::

After a couple of games with a new caster, what's better than a couple of more with another one I have next to no experience with? Stryker2 was ready to play and he was facing down a Makeda2 variant which left me wondering how on Earth I was supposed to approach this matchup.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Lord Commander Stryker - WJ: +6
- Squire
- Ol' Rowdy - PC: 9
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 2
- Sentinel - PC: 4
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 3
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Madelyn Corbeau, Ordic Courtesan - PC: 2
Stormblade Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
Sword Knights - Leader & 5 Grunts: 4
- Sword Knight Officer & Standard - PC: 2
- Stormclad - PC: 10
- Stormclad - PC: 10
Opponent:
Supreme Archdomina Makeda - WB: +5
- Archidon - PC: 7
- Archidon - PC: 7
- Molik Karn - PC: 11
- Titan Gladiator - PC: 8
Agonizer - PC: 2
Mortitheurge Willbreaker - PC: 2
Nihilators - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 2
Praetorian Swordsmen - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6
- Praetorian Swordsman Officer & Standard - PC: 2

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Close Quarters and I'm going first. I deploy Stryker behind my flag with Ol' Rowdy and support units. One Stormclad on each flank and SKs + Stormblades on my left flank. The latter Advance move up after Skorne deploy fairly symmetrically. 


:: Game ::

I run stuff up. I fail to drive the left-most Stormclad so my battle line is involuntarily skewed. Sentinel on my right flank. Stryker has nothing he wants to cast so he simply runs up 12". Wow. I am not used to that! In getting so far up I also threaten Makeda if she's feeling frisky and wants that wall combined with all her things up.


Makeda indeed goes for the wall and puts up Leash on Molik Karn. Furthermore she casts +2" and leaves 1 fury in the Agonizer, putting her at 0!


I take the "bait", cast +2 to hit on Stryker from Alain and go for gold. Makeda does die, but it's -really- close after I roll miserably on the +3d6 Overload. Anyway...

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Very quick game so not much to analyze here. I will say that Stryker appears to be a caster who relies too much on single rolls. Drive can be crucial and a skill check on 9 is not exactly reliable. The Overload roll is super-crucial as well. These are elements I'm not a fan of. Lastly, his lack of control and speed to help out his army means I'm finding it hard to come up with openings. More on this in the analysis of the second match.

What you have to appreciate though is his assassination run. That is something to witness! 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar