mandag 17. april 2017

Battle at Lund: Swedish Masters #4 (#493): Sloan vs Vayl2

:: Prologue ::

The 4th game saw me face Torbjörn, one of Sweden's best players and a seasoned Legion general. As opposed to "everyone" else running the Lylyth3 hype, Torbjørn plays Vayl2 which makes life so much more miserable for Cygnar in my opinion. Nevertheless I have faith in Sloan in this matchup so despite the lethal Incursion being our scenario, I dropped everyone's favourite Sniper.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Cygnar - Firing Solution v4
Theme: Heavy Metal
4 / 4 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Armory - Steamroller Objective
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28
- Squire - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 28)
- Lightning Pod
- Firefly - PC: 8
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 11
Lieutenant Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Hammersmith - PC: 12
Opponent:
Theme: Oracles of Annihilation
3 / 3 Free Cards     75 / 75 Army
Vayl, Consul of Everblight - WB: +28
-    Carnivean - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 19)
-    Naga Nightlurker - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
-    Nephilim Bloodseer - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 1)
-    Nephilim Bolt Thrower - PC: 11
-    Ravagore - PC: 19
-    Seraph - PC: 14
Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion - PC: 0
The Forsaken - PC: 0
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Hex Hunters - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
-    Bayal, Hound of Everblight - PC: 0
Spawning Vessel - Vessel & 6 Grunts: 7

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Incursion, I win roll-off, opt to go second. I choose the side with a central hill and a forest on my right flank. The idea is to deploy Hunters on the hill, take control of the right flank and have Sloan behind the woods.


:: Game ::

The spawning vessel. I thought we were rid of it when Mk. 3 hit the deck. Apparantly not. It's back and it's as annoying as ever. Even more so, arguably, with apparition. Placing a model where-ever you want to? I deployed Sloan, Junior, Jakes etc out of Vayl's threat. 33.2" top of 1 is next level crazy though and very annoying. I eventually left Arlan in harm's way, figuring that if he wants to go for that play I may as well let him. Better for Sloan later on. Anyway! A Harrier runs up and Vayl arcs a couple of Chastens onto a Hunter. Not much damage is done. Beasts either stay out of range or get cover.


I realize that my plan to take the right flank is likely flawed, partially because it'll be hard to prioritize killing the Bloodseer with Occultation there, partially because it's trivial to run a beast into the woods and arc onto Sloan. Regardless I have to create Fort Sloan™ and move up the MVP Hammersmith with Sidekick B2B with the 'wall to do so. I take some pot shots, clear out a couple of infantry dudes and hold my feat.


Infantry moves up further, some jam me up. Carnivean takes up cover in the center-ish.


I realize I've chosen the wrong side but it's kind of late for that now. The Seraph on the left flank is b2b with the flag there and I can't really threaten it in any way. I cannot apply Sloan's shots either. Ugh. Regardless I cannot lose more space or scenario pressure so I have to feat. If I can take out the Carnivean it might be a start. Sloan moves towards my center and starts killing infantry. The Firefly follows suit and this clears a lot of my jam. Disaster strikes though as I forget to pod to contest with the 'wall (after I've measured the distance beforehand). I simply cannot afford to run a Hunter under my feat turn, doubly so because I've rolled poorly for the Carnivean. The last Hunter though, mr Hero Hunter, puts some absolutely ridiculous rolls into the Carnivean, totalling something like 18 damage at two boosted shots dice off 6. This takes it out, luckily. The Stormwall contests the middle and the Hammersmith contests the right flag. 1-1.


Vayl contemplates feating for scenario. She decides to hold the feat, move out of my threat ranges and be happy with simply removing Sidekick from the Hammersmith. A combination of this means that the Bloodseer cannot be forced on the right flank and thus my Hunter lives. 1-2 on CP.


Time to push out and claim that space back. The Hammersmith gets the job to remove the Bloodseer. Despite being fully loaded and energized, it doesn't kill the Bloodseer. It does free up Junior's Hunter though and my Firepower ensures that the Ravagore dies. The naga also takes a heavy beating, however in my eager to push up the field I forget to use the 'walls Chain Cannons and it lives on a couple of boxes. Even worse, I forget to pod yet again. Jesus Christ. Instead I run a Hunter to contest this time.


Vayl cannot reach Sloan and there is nothing else meaningful to feat on. Torbjörn runs her in cover with a ton of camp, taunting an assassination from me. He puts all throwable models outside of 9". Good play.


I have to do one thing to win this game: Not lose Sloan. I don't need to get a lot of work done. I camp 5 and create a fort.


Given the Seraph's position it has to tank free strikes to get in range of Sloan. Vayl also needs to kill Jakes or one of the full-HP screening lights to get LoS. Both of my lights hit their free strikes and the Seraph takes a lot of damage, only having 1(!) hp left. Vayl needs a 9+ to kill it and much to my relief, Torbjörn makes this roll and the Seraph goes down before the run can even begin!

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Wow, what a long and intense game! This was back and forth with tons of small issues on both sides throughout. My lack of experience against Vayl2 is evident as I choose the wrong side. I struggle to get work out of Sloan while keeping her safe, which is definitely bad. The forest placements also don't help me much and Torbjörn gets a lot out of his cover pieces.

Sloan's guns and Vayl's reluctancy to capitalize on my scenario mistakes with her feat ensure that I eventually get ahead on attrition. I ride this home to a win by playing super conservatively with all key pieces. It's important to remember that Jakes doesn't have to always have the Hammersmith in control for example.

A great game and I was happy to walk away with a win here for sure!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar