tirsdag 4. april 2017

Battle Report #481: Sloan vs Ossrum

:: Prologue ::

Following the finals today I had time for one more game. I got a date with Ossrum's Bunnies vs Sloan, hunter-spam variant. I think this is a matchup where Ossrum needs a lot of help in terms of everything from terrain to dice. Barring that, Sloan feels very good. This game will help illustrate why.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
"Firing Solution"
Theme: Heavy Metal
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28 Armory
- Squire - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 28)
- Lightning Pod
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Charger - PC: 9
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 0
Opponent:
General Ossrum - WJ: +28
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
- Grundback Blaster - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Grundback Blaster - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 6)
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6 (Battlegroup Points Used: 4)
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6
- Ghordson Driller - PC: 10
- Ghordson Driller - PC: 10
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 7
Horgenhold Artillery Corps - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 6
Horgenhold Artillery Corps - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We play Entrenched and I win the dice-off. Please Ossrum, do go first. I insist! Going second with Sloan is usually the right thing to do. In this particular matchup Ossrum basically has to feat top of 1 or else he can find himself picked apart by Sloan's feat before he's even gotten to start the game.

With 10 bunnies and 2 heavies I was curious if there was enough meat to present a challenge for Sloan. I was missing my Jakes + heavy defensive module...


:: Game ::

Bunnies! Bunnies!!


I contemplate feating into his feat. what discourages me from doing this is that I don't think I can keep Sloan safe without putting too many Hunters at risk. Instead I go for the safe play: keep stuff far back, either out of threat entirely or in cover. I take out Eiryss and scratch a couple of Bunnies but that's it.


Bunnies resolve to shuffling around. Ossrum runs to the zone.


I can get 2 Hunters and the Stormwall on Ossrum. I run Odds Machine and I'm 77% to kill him. Given the state of the game this might not be worth going for (!) as I can get a devastating feat for attrition. I decide to make the play for it though: If this assassination fails it's not necessarily game over for me. Sure I'll be down, but what's Ossrum going to do on a few boxes with a 'wall he can't deal with? To make a long story short the assassination succeeds and Ossrum dies.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

At some point Ossrum can conceivably reach critical mass and overwhelm Sloan. The Stormwall just feels like such a huge (pun intended) problem for him though. There is simply nothing in his list which can reliably deal a lot of damage to it and pot-shots take forever to whittle it down, doubly so with Arlan at the ready behind. With decent, central cover pieces Ossrum probably has more game here. However the fact that Hunters pretty much can engage and disengage at will with superior mobility forces Ossrum to feat so fast. That is a big problem.

I wonder if perhaps some other Merc caster needs to be considered for Cygnar. There are a couple of legit candidates out there, most notably MacBain and Thexus I believe. Whatever comes, the Swans will be ready!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar