mandag 17. april 2017

Battle at Lund: Team Tournament #4 (#498): Haley2 vs Lylyth3

:: Prologue ::

For the finals in the team tournament we decided to abandon our lose-on-purpose-concept. It was too late for beer bracket anyway and after all we had come this far! I was paired against Legion on Recon. My opponent had Lylyth3 and Thagrosh2. I was anticipating Lylyth3 and I had this plan with Haley2 which I wanted to try out so I went with her. Nemo is probably a safe bet here as well but I'm not 100% sure how he plays into Thagrosh2 and I think Recon is an amazing scenario for Haley2 in this matchup.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Cygnar - Technical Death Metal v4
[Theme] Heavy Metal
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25]
- Charger [9]
- Hammersmith [12]
- Stormwall [39]
- Thorn [13]
- Squire [0]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Charger [9]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [4]
- Stormclad [18]
Opponent:
Theme: Oracles of Annihilation
4 / 4 Free Cards     75 / 75 Army
Lylyth, Reckoning of Everblight - WB: +29
-    Angelius - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 17)
-    Angelius - PC: 17 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
-    Angelius - PC: 17
-    Naga Nightlurker - PC: 8
-    Nephilim Bolt Thrower - PC: 11
-    Scythean - PC: 18
-    Seraph - PC: 14
Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion - PC: 0
Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion - PC: 0
The Forsaken - PC: 0
The Forsaken - PC: 0
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
THEME: Oracles of Annihilation

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

I've faced Lylyth3 a few times in Mk. 3 one could say. What I've eventually come to is the realization that in scenarios where I can really bully her by scoring quickly, I believe I can aggressively feat without necessarily accomplishing much on the feat turn itself. Killing a single heavy with shooting might be acceptable for example. Thus, with my playing Gustav's Legion on Recon, I was hoping to test this out in practice. Gustav deploys Lylyth skewed a little on the left flank and I respond with the Stormwall directly across from her with most of the other jacks set up slightly to my right. The idea is to play aggressively for scenario, either go all-in hyper-aggro bot of 1 or chill until turn 2 to see how Lylyth intends to contest, depending on what Gustav does.


:: Game ::

Gustav runs up super-aggressively and in a big mash of beasts. Everything is clumped together and the Hellion solos are in front to prevent optimal TK plays.


While I can get a somewhat decent angle at an Angelius or two, I have a play here which seems completely legit: What happens if I simply go for Lylyth? She camps but a single fury and I am sure I can put the fear of God in her if I go all out to damage her and feat. I reckon my opponent will back off significantly to avoid dying the following turn which leads to either an easy 3-0 lead or a massive attrition advantage.

To do this I set up Fort Haley with a double layer of lights blocking her off (thus no bolter KD shenanigans to try and kill me while I feat) and the heavies run to position themselves for a bot of 2 scenario play. Haley then Time Bombs Lylyth and boosts damage. Gustav elects tro transfer this and is thus on 0 fury. I TK her around because DEF11 is awesome for the 'wall, and then the big guy activates. The dice I was lacking in my last game to kill battle engines certainly are back now as my colossal two-shots Lylyth for a surprisingly early end to the game!

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Wow, that was unexpected! I'll happily admit that I didn't intend to downright kill Lylyth, merely make her game plan from here miserable and hard. I'll take it though, no doubt. The other 4 players in our teams were shocked to see our game end this early. Sadly though my team lost both of the other games and due to poor tie breaker scores we ended up in 4th place.

I think my strategy overall is legit. It might be better to try and see if you can get a heavy instead of damaging Lylyth but with only 1 fury camped that is some serious damage coming her way. How do you play against the potential damage output Haley2 has from there on out if she survives on, say, 5 boxes? Seems very hard to me. Looking at these pictures in hindsight I also wonder how Lylyth could've stopped me from going to 3CP without virtually sacrificing anything. From there on it should be easy to get to 5 and win.

This is a very experience intensive matchup. I applaud Gustav for making the aggressive play. My motto is: "When in doubt, push!" and that is certainly what he did here. The worst that can happen in such a case is that you learn where the limits in the matchup are, which makes you better suited the next time a similar encounter happens.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar