torsdag 7. juli 2016

Battle Report #214: Sloan vs Vayl2

:: Prologue ::

Today I had arranged for a couple of games against a Legion friend. When he faces Cygnar he usually faces Caine2 or Stryker2 so we agreed on one game with Sloan and one game with Haley2. First up was Sloan and I was eager to shoot some shark-inspired birds again.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28 (Fuel Cache)
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 10
- Defender - PC: 16
- Defender - PC: 16
Alten Ashley - PC: 5
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Vayl2
- Archangel
- Angelius
- Angelius
- Seraph
- Succubus
Shepherd
Shepherd
Forsaken
Strider Deathstalker
Strider Deathstalker

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We were playing Incursion and I went first. We discussed the matchup and agreed that Legion would have to play a cautious early game and wait for either an assassination or a scenario opening. I deployed symmetrically, intending to use a central piece of obstruction for Fort Sloan if need be. Legion skewed to a flank with the Archangel on the extreme flank. Cute way to keep it somewhat safe from the majority of my shooting.


:: Game ::

Stuff advanced. I kept out of his shooting ranges just because I didn't need to pressure him any further up on the table.


Legion plays very cautiously and Vayl2 is super cautious, probably too much so. Although she typically arcs through her beasts she needs to within a certain range to threaten this move.


With only a Strider Deathstalker on the left flank I figure I can use the scenario here to force a favourable attrition fight. If he wants to stay super defensive I can punish him for doing so. I get the Lances on the left up in a formation which ensures that his Deathstalker can only contest by tanking a free strike. Alternatively he can sacrifice the Seraph to contest but that is a very good situation for me. I spend this turn largely just getting in position. 2 Hunters take off a few boxes of an Angelius at 16" and 1 Firefly + 2 Defenders block off LoS to Sloan. The other Firefly is the sacrificial lamb to contest the right flag. I don't think the Fireflies will be the important jacks in this matchup.


Legion decides to push it all up. The Seraph moves towards the left flag (but no contest), the 2 Angelii and the Archangel take the center + right flank and even Vayl comes forward a little.


5 Lances are in charge range of Legion Warbeasts. With Refuge up on Sloan I am not afraid of blowing all of her focus and just go to town. All the jacks are in solid positions as well and I end up killing off all 3 heavies -and- the Archangel.


It feels good to shoot Legion, it really does.
Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

I helped create this Legion list and I believe it is solid into a lot of matchups. However I feared it didn't have what it takes to battle Sloan. While it appears I was right, it should also be noted that I think the "push" could've happened more favourably. Without the threats from Vayl (she overestimated Sloan's assassination range) I have way too much space behind me.

Perhaps I'll sooner or later get tired of shooting Legion. For now I still get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside of being on the other end of this dynamic compared to how it used to be in Mk. 2.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar