onsdag 20. juli 2016

Battle Report #231: Haley2 vs Rahn

:: Prologue ::

Many games today! I was up early and got to play throughout the day. First up was a game against Rahn, a very interesting matchup. My opponent tries a list with Hyperion, an interesting piece for sure with Polarity field. Going into this game I expected the usual shenanigans to beware of, on top of the power the colossal brings.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25] (Fuel Cache)
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [5]
- Ironclad [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Firefly [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [3]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Opponent:
(Rahn 1) Adeptis Rahn [+26]
 - Hyperion [36]
 - Chimera [8]
 - Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker [4]
Elara, Tyro of the Third Chamber [4]
 - Discordia [18]
Arcanist Mechanik [2]
Arcanist Mechanik [2]
House Shyeel Battle Mages [10]
House Shyeel Battle Mages [10]
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios [7]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Outlast and Retribution went first. I placed Thorn on the left, Haley on the right and the Stormwall in the middle.


:: Game ::

Retribution advances with the Hyperion as its central anchor, Rahn to the left with Elara + Discordia and Eiryss1 far left.


A bit of an aggressive move on my opponent's part: I could start digging into his Battle Mages bottom of 1 with a Bolt from Haley and 3 shots from the Stormwall. I decide to go for it. That means Thorn will land within "this shit is dangerous" range, but he'll be in cover and have Deflection for DEF19. I also figure that if my opponent commits Chimera or feats for this it may as well be ok for me considering he can't get points from it. 4 Battle Mages die.


Rahn goes for the Big Plays! The thing with his feat is that he can possibly get multiple "wins" here: Thorn on the left but also the Ironclad on the right. It was a terribly clumsy move of me to have the Lance right behind him because that allows Rahn to Force Hammer him -and- keep him basically in place. The Ironclad dies to the ensuing magics from the Battle Mages and shots from Hyperion (who manages to toe the zone). On the left the Battle Mages miss Thorn and I can Dodge away. Unfortunately Eiryss makes her 6+ and strips him for 3 boxes (no point in disruption as Arlan was nearby). Disaster strikes though as Discordia gets the right column following Eiryss and the Arc Node system is crippled. Arlan is too far away to perform meaningful work.


That was a rough turn: I lost a Lance, Ironclad, the Arc Node and Lanyssa to a very lucky Hyperion scatter. However Retribution had yet to score any points and I had an opening. I just had to make this game go late. Now, I had a trick with the Stormwall: I was outside of 9" of the Hyperion and thus unable to get to it, -but- I could charge a battle mage, kill said battle mage with a Pod and still get all attacks on the Hyperion. A pity that Lanyssa died so I wouldn't get a free charge, but whatever. If I do this though I can't pod to contest. Thorn is the answer because I cannot allow Rahn to score this turn. Besides, with a crippled arc node chances are he won't perform meaningful work anyway.

So the plan is initiated and it works out well: The Stormwall cripples one side of the Hyperion (taking care to stay clear of the other) just barely and is covered by Shift (I love this move). The electro leaps hurt the mages a bit and the Chimera a bit. The Firefly boosts a shot onto the Chimera for some more boxes and the Lances finish it off with Assault. Thorn runs up in partial cover and contests the zone. Haley gets in the zone and takes care to not let the Hyperion have her in his LoS.


A couple of misses on Thorn and he dodges away. I don't remember exactly what happened here. Hyperion tried to shoot Lances but failed. Discordia moved up a bit. Retribution takes the lead.


I have to wipe out the Hyperion, contest the zone and set up for breaking the game in my next turn. Thorn moves up and disrupts Discordia following a repair from Arlan. Haley arcs a bolt onto Eiryss which kills her. Stormwall kills Hyperion. Lances move to a position where Rahn can't shenanigan them. 2-1 to me.


Thorn is killed at last. Battle Mages run to contest. 2-3.


Haley bolts 2 battle mages. Firefly + Lances shoot the Stormwall to kill the last 2. Stormwall runs to contest. 4-3. I take care to contest my own zone with both junior and squire, just in case.


There's nothing to do about the Stormwall and no way to score in my zone for Rahn.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

A great game! Last time I had an intense scenario situation vs Rahn I lost. This time I managed to get an unshenaniganable model into his zone to just say "no".

The events leading up to this were a bit chaotic. My main mistake was giving him the Ironclad so easily in T1. True, baiting out the feat worked well and I think it was premature for him given the counter I could hit him with, but he might have had better angles here which he never saw. In any case it is bad to let him slam my own models into eachother like that.

The Stormwall managing to disable a side on the Hyperion was crucial. It basically tells Rahn that "you have to finish the game before I get over to the other zone". That is hard, very hard. Perhaps Rahn could've sent Discordia over there to just physically block the Stormwall out, I don't know.

It's rare that I lose so much this early and still get out of it ok. It speaks volumes to Haley's control abilities and the strength of her feat, however it also shows how important the timing is with regards to scenario. Patience is a virtue!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar