lørdag 9. juli 2016

Battle Report #217: Haley2 vs Baldur2

:: Prologue ::

My second game of the day was against another opponent but still vs Circle. This time I faced the dreaded Baldur2 and his arm-skew madness. This list is one of the more extreme variants with 2 Woldwraths. There's no way I can shoot this apart (I strongly doubt that at least), so Haley2 it was!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25] (Fuel Cache)
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [5]
- Ironclad [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Firefly [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [3]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Opponent:
Baldur2
- Woldwrath
- Woldwrath
Blackclad Wayfarer
Gobber Chef
Reeves of Orboros (max)
Sentry Stone
Sentry Stone

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Entrenched and Circle grabs the initiative. I have a lot of experience with dual colossals and I know the biggest weakness of such a list is to get blocked out of a scenario and/or elements running around to threaten the caster. My idea as such is to simply go for scenario, hard and fast, and do everything I can do hold him out while I run Thorn + Lances around the colossals.


:: Game :: 

Wolds run up, Wall goes down, Sentries to hide Baldur. Reeves run to the left.


I immediately group everything up so as to move to the zone as intended. I take care not to give him anything to charge - even with Hunter's Mark - so if he wants to cross the obstacle he has to run. Lances chill out, their time is not yet. Deflection is up and I take care to keep Haley outside of shooting ranges + blast damage (barring scatters).


Reeves move to the left, Sentries forest up again and the wall goes down to prevent an alpha on the right-most Wold. Both Gargantuans shoot my Ironclad and with a little spikes + lucky columns he loses both the hammer and his cortex.


Luckily for me the Ironclad wasn't crucial. I'm not taking out the objective yet but merely putting my plan into play. The Stormwall will move up and kill the Stones + boost pod on Baldur to start working on him. Thorn will run up so Haley can arc a Bolt onto the Blackclad hiding out behind. Firefly clears the way for the Stormwall and I do just this. Haley feats on both Gargantuans and Lances run into positions both threatening counter-charges and running around for Baldur. Arlan repairs the Ironclad so as to keep it dangerous. 1-0.


Both Gargantuans again shoot the Ironclad, this time helped by Reeves CRA. I lose Cortex, again. So much for DEF16... Baldur feats. 2-0.


This was supposed to be an easy turn but I made a brain fart when the Stormwall podded: The pod was originally planned to be in-between the Woldwraths but I got greedy and wanted to kill Reeves. So the Stormwall killed the objective, but there was no pod to be time bombed. I was sending in all units anyway to just block him off and shut him out so I had the Ironclad to Time Bomb (Arlan repaired it yet again first). It was DEF14 with back arc and combat so it wasn't the worst to hit but unnecessary. Anyway I hit him and both Woldwraths are down to SPD3 with tons of models surrounding them. With the Stormwall having taken out the objective I'm now at 4-0.


No Circle models could get into my zone and with that, I won the game on scenario.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

In my experience from running Stryker1 with double Stormwalls, this type of list needs speed and flexibility. Being out-shenaniganed, blocked, slowed, jammed or otherwise hindered often prevents the huge based models from doing what they do best. Haley2 is possibly one of the better casters to prevent them from doing what they do best and in this game I basically had a plan which I never diverged from and after Circle's T2 my opponent never had a chance to stop me really.

A bigger problem appears if the Woldwraths somehow force me to fight them. I'm sure this can happen and with 2 of them I'm not sure there's enough power around seeing as Ragman's not in the list. Baldur's Wall also complicates things. Anyway if we assume I can get both the Stormwall + Ironclad in that's still just around 30-40 boxes and they have well over 50. In return it's not looking a whole lot brighter for him but it's a little better and sooner or later I lose that grind. Time Bomb on a pod to make them SPD3 is huge though and I believe Thorn will almost always manage to wrap around to threaten Baldur.

An interesting game and I believe my current Haley2 list has game into such a concept, because shenanigans.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar