lørdag 9. juli 2016

Battle Report #218: Sloan vs Issyria

:: Prologue ::

For the last game of the day I had agreed to try out Sloan vs Issyria against a friend of mine. I really didn't know what to expect here, could go either way. Some things you just have to play to understand the dynamics.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28 (Fuel Cache)
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 10
- Defender - PC: 16
- Defender - PC: 16
Alten Ashley - PC: 5
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn - WJ: +29
- Hyperion - PC: 7
- Imperatus - PC: 22
Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Arcanist Mechanik - PC: 2
Fane Knight Skeryth Issyen - PC: 8
Houseguard Thane - PC: 4
Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 4
Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 4
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Houseguard Halberdiers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 13
- Houseguard Halberdier Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Outlast and I won the initiative. I deployed symmetrically as per usual and decided to keep the Hunters centrally as well, alongside Alten Ashley. Retribution responds with one heavy hitter towards each zone and Halbs + Skeryth with Imperatus.


:: Game :: 

Everything moves up. Right flank takes care to stay outside of his threat ranges and Sloan casts Refuge.


Retribution runs up hard. Inviolable Resolve on Hyperion but crucially no Admonition on Imperatus.


As I learned in my recent game vs Legion, being able to charge with this many lances greatly enhance my damage output, to the point where going all in for both heavy hitters isn't necessarily overkill. I make a significant mistake with my priorities though: Skeryth essentially provides the Imperatus with another 17 boxes. I probably should kill him regardless and not focus as much on the Hyperion. I do indeed kill him in the end but I kill Imperatus first and thus Ashley is largely wasted. If anything that just shows how much power this list has. To finish off my turn the 2 Defenders, a Hunter and Ashley form a defensive line ahead of Sloan so the Hyperion can't shoot her (even with an Issyria feat-ancillary-attack-long-shot).


Retribution tries to get some work done with feat but it's not impressive, not even a CP is scored.


Defenders move up with full focus each and leave the Hyperion on 9 boxes. My opponent concedes the game.


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

I can see how Issyria struggles here because there are no credible threats to my Storm Lances. This means that just like Skorne for example it's just a matter of time before he has to advance into their assault ranges and he just cannot cope with their damage on top of my shooting. If Issyria wants to play into Sloan she probably needs either more tech vs shooting (Discordia being the obvious choice) or something to put pressure on me in return with, e.g. Invictors.

The way this game developed it was a big mistake not to have Admonition on the Imperatus but I'm not sure it would've mattered. I can kill it in one turn with shooting alone I believe if I take out Skeryth first which leaves the Lances free. The question is if Retribution could somehow have pressured scenario. I think the answer is possibly, but probably not. The only piece which can pretty reliably survive my feat turn is Hyperion and if he goes in the left zone instead (where there are no LoS-blocking terrain) he might be able to grab a lead and force that lead to a 3-0. At that point, the game gets kind of interesting. It's definitely uphill but without a scenario angle it's impossible.

Sloan keeps impressing me and the Lances are godlike. Noteworthy achievement of the day was the Hunter which missed the Hyperion with a shot.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar