søndag 10. juli 2016

Battle Report #220: Sloan vs Iron Mother

:: Prologue ::

I typically think of Convergence as an ARM-skew faction and thus something I cannot shoot down. However Sloan has impressed me in multiple games with her ability to downright destroy heavy targets. I wanted to try her out against the machines. My opponent initially planned to play Axis but we agreed for him to go ahead with Iron Mother instead, given the nature of the casters.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28 (Fuel Cache)
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
- Firefly - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 10
- Defender - PC: 16
- Defender - PC: 16
GMCA - PC: 5
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors - WJ: +27
-    Iron Mother Directrix & Exponent Servitors Cont.
-    Assimilator - PC: 16
-    Assimilator - PC: 16
-    Prime Axiom - PC: 11
-    Corollary - PC: 6
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - PC: 2
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex - PC: 2
Reciprocators - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18
Optifex Directive - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was The Pit and I moved first. The idea was to establish a line right outside of his maximum threat ranges and I deployed symmetrically as per usual. The Convergence forces played the Axiom on the left flank and Iron Mother on the right.


:: Game ::

I run up and put up Refuge on Sloan.


After some deliberation my opponent decides to go more or less all out. The infantry move up in Shield Wall with Tactical Supremacy up while the jacks all run.


I contemplate taking out the Axiom or the heavies. I kind of fear the Ground Pounder attacks with Fire Group so I decide to try and kill the heavies instead. This is naturally a feat turn and the high-powered shots from Sloan and her jacks rip the Assimilators apart. The Lances flank on both sides. A Firefly runs up to make life a little harder for the Axiom.


I was a little careless with my positioning of the Defenders and Firefly. My opponent capitalizes on this and pull in both Defenders under Feat, killing them with the aid of the infantry. However due to Kill Box and my flanking Lances, Iron Mother is forced to move to a highly vulnerable position.


I can either go for attrition here by trying to kill the Prime Axiom, or I can go for gold with Iron Mother. I decide for the latter as I can get 2 Lances on her as well as all my remaining shots. Before the Lances are done she dies to my shots as she had to feed the Prime Axiom as her Corollary was too far away.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

I think Sloan should mostly be able to deal with Convergence. Lucant is possibly too hard. There are possibly other variants as well, of course. More practice needed.

The wide, sweeping moves from the Lances really puts pressure on both the Axiom and the Iron Mother. Indeed it ends up forcing the win condition. Convergence should arguably had some elements against the Lances on the Iron Mother's flank, but what? It's a tough situation for them.

The Prime Axiom being able to pull in both Defenders was just poor and lazy play from me. I could easily have measured this properly and avoided at least the second one dying. This also goes to show how dangerous the Prime Axiom is.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar