søndag 31. juli 2016

Indian Summer Game 2 (#239): Haley2 vs Kreoss1

:: Prologue ::

For my second game I met a really nice player who unfortunately had never met Cygnar before. I won't lie, playing Protectorate and not having faced Haley2, let alone Cygnar, is one of the harder things in this game.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25]
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [5]
- Ironclad [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Firefly [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress [3]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Opponent:
High Exemplar Kreoss - WJ: +29
-    Crusader - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
-    Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
-    Templar - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 3)
-    Vanquisher - PC: 17
Exemplar Errant Seneschal - PC: 4
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon - PC: 6
Paladin of the Order of the Wall - PC: 4
Paladin of the Order of the Wall - PC: 4
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 3
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 3
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
Exemplar Errants - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Extraction and I got first turn. There was a forest piece in the middle of the table and I knew that would be huge here. On top of that I could hide Haley away with a cloud should I want to because he had no tech to see through it. I positioned the Stormwall on one flank and Lances on the other.


:: Game ::

I run stuff up. Thorn runs really far to get the most angles. I brainfart with the Lances as I don't leave room for the Firefly to move through them.


Everything advances and Passage is sung.


It's go time! I wanted the Firefly to move up so that I could get +2 dmg on the Errants. They had Defender's Ward and the +2 could really come in handy vs ARM18. In any case I got it up to catch at least 4-5 of them. Without Shielding the Protectorate jacks got toyed with and through various tricks I killed almost 2 with just the Ironclad as a potential target for retaliation. Lances, Firefly, Haley herself and a pod killed the Errants. I camped 2 just to be safe, if an Errant or three had survived I didn't want to lose to pop-n-drop.


My opponent discovers how helpless his list is when everything is caught in Temporal Shift.


I consolidate my advantage and start scoring. I disrupt the only non-crippled jack left alive.


There is just no damage output left in the Protectorate forces and I eventually move to 5CP.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

There is not a whole lot to say about this game from an analysis point of view. Haley2 is a unique caster to play against and you really need practice, lots of it. On top of that I think Kreoss1 is one of the worse Protectorate casters to go into this matchup with. In theory he looks fine perhaps with Purification and a feat with both threatens Haley herself, but possibly more importantly also Thorn. However in practice he lacks the speed buffs and the shenigans which is typically what Haley struggles with. I also find that the game moves too fast for his feat or Purification to take effect.



4 kommentarer:

  1. Ouch! having started playing Haley2 in my local meta, one that has not been exposed to her much, i've seen people who havent ever played against her before be absolutely crushed. I'm not even that good!

    When i read your opponent hadn't played against her, and it was you piloting the list. just ouch, the secondhand pain for him is real

    Really enjoying these tournament reports though

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Yes, Haley2 is very hard to play against and it gets close to impossible if you have no prior experience.

      Thanks for the kind words :)

      Slett
  2. Hello I have been running your list quite a bit. I just got wrecked by a skorne. It was xersis 1 and the ferox that did it to me. I went second and his ferox just threaten to far with 17 walk and jump. He killed my lances and the game just went down hill. At 15/19 I just can't kill them :( so I had to feat to stall his army killed the ferox but then I just can't deny tibbers from getting in on storwall and with feat he easily kills it in one go.

    Advice or suggestions

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Skorne is a conundrum for me still. I am not sure how to approach them to be honest. If you think Xerxis1 Ferox are bad, consider what Makeda2 can do with 10 of them. Without Grievous there is just no way in hell you are going to kill them and they threaten further and with a possible MAT-boost (from feat) as well. See my reports #229 & #230 to see this in action.

      As for Xerxis in particular it should certainly be possible to keep him away from the Stormwall. TK him around :) Xerxis can't have him charge then.

      I'm thinking Caine2 is possibly the right drop into Skorne. Haven't been able to play this yet, unfortunately.

      Slett