fredag 5. mai 2017

Battle Report #512: Caine3 vs Thexus

:: Prologue ::

After 2 games of Haley2 vs Mercs I wanted to give Caine3 a run again. My opponent wanted to play Thexus and I was too tired to play Haley2 vs Thexus again (a very demanding matchup), so a perfect excuse to bring out the Hellslingers!

:: Lists ::

:: Cygnar ::
Cygnar - HurriCaine
Theme: Heavy Metal
3 / 3 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Caine's Hellslingers - WJ: +20
- Caine's Hellslingers (Cont.)
- Squire - PC: 0
- Ace - PC: 12
- Charger - PC: 9
- Charger - PC: 9
- Charger - PC: 9
- Hurricane - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 20)
- Charger - PC: 9
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
:: Opponent ::
Theme: Operating Theater
2 / 2 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Exulon Thexus - WJ: +29
- Wrecker - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Wrecker - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
Cephalyx Agitator - PC: 3
Cephalyx Agitator - PC: 3
Cephalyx Overlords - Leader & 2 Grunts: 0
Cephalyx Overlords - Leader & 2 Grunts: 0
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges - Slaver & 9 Drudge Grunts: 12
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges - Slaver & 9 Drudge Grunts: 12
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges - Slaver & 9 Drudge Grunts: 12
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges - Mind Bender & 9 Drudge Grunts: 11
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges - Mind Bender & 9 Drudge Grunts: 11
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges - Mind Bender & 9 Drudge Grunts: 11

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Same map and scenario, this time Thexus goes first. The idea was to stand tight and see how the game develops.


:: Game ::

The thing about Caine3 is that he doesn't reach out very far with his shooting. This is used against me here: When I don't start my opponent can advance quite a bit and still be out of my threat ranges.


I move stuff up cautiously. Watts takes out a dude. Ace kills a dude and trick shots a leader. Hurricane boosts blast to kill 1, scatter in the right direction.


Cephalyx swarm me.


This is a very interesting position. There are 3 leaders which are important. I can kill two of them fairly reliably (Ace on one, Mage Sight on the other). I also think I can easily wipe out the left zone and start scoring, taking a heavy with me. That would be an awesome start.

However, I'm tired and my opponent has mis-placed Thexus. This is Caine3 and he doesn't joke around. Thexus camps 1 and has a heavy in front of him. I figure if I can kill the heavy Thexus should be dead. Right?! Hurricane is in range of the heavy with his cannons so I go for the play: I have 3 Chargers in range of Thexus (fun fact: It would have been 4 if I had remembered Locomotion!). The heavy dies and the Chargers unleash hell on Thexus. He goes down and the Swans finally take a win.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

I should have taken the attrition play because I was really curious about this matchup plays out. Given that I went for the assassination I didn't learn nearly as much as I could have but I simply was too tired.

The assassination win shows how lethal Caine3 is. With Calamity (which I had to put on the monstrosity due to sac pawn) it's hard to stay alive if you are at all even visible. Until people learn this guy I believe there will be caster kills all over the place.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar