torsdag 11. mai 2017

Battle Report #520: Haley2 vs Severius1

:: Prologue ::

For our second game of the night we tried out the rumoured Protectorate Exemplar theme against TimeStorm. My opponent and I dojo'd this list the day in advance and we were both really excited to see it in action. I truly believe Protectorate is a little behind now and I hope that the Exemplar theme will help against some of their harder matchups, which Haley2 is definitely a part of.

:: Lists ::

:: Cygnar ::
"TimeStorm"
Theme: Heavy Metal
4 / 4 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Hurricane - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
Storm Strider - PC: 18
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lieutenant Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Reliant - PC: 14
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
:: Opponent ::
Grand Scrutator Severius - WJ: +28
-    Blessing of Vengeance - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
-    Reckoner - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
-    Reckoner - PC: 16
-    Redeemer - PC: 11
-    Redeemer - PC: 11
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 3
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4
Exemplar Vengers - PC: 20
Knights Exemplar - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
-    Knights Exemplar Officer - PC: 5

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The theme will be official very soon I believe, but TL;DR it gives him a few bonuses and his warjacks all gained Blessed on their weapons. Severius won the roll-off for this game. I was wondering how I could advance without simply being shot to death...


:: Game :: 

Severius' force runs up. Vengers receive Defender's Ward and line up on the right, LoS-blocking everything just about. The shooty jacks receive Passage and are kind of hard for me to engage.

In return I decide to feat-charge. This means that even if Severius gets me in range of his feat I will catch his entire army. This dynamic is very hard for Haley in this matchup because she's so exposed.


We look at some situations and run some numbers in odds machine. It turns out that my play is too risky: Haley is too likely to just die here. Instead of contemplating how I could've made a better fort we decide to play it out on attrition to better understand how this matchup is. Severius counter-feats and his forces block up. One Reckoner is sacrificed to tie up my left flank.


Severius isn't nearly well enough protected here. It's interesting how much the "build a fort" issue goes both ways here. We mini-feat models around to provide a fort which is strong enough to make assassination highly unlikely and play attrition from there. I wipe out most of the Knights.


There are 2 KE left: Officer and a grunt. One charges the Firefly and half kills it, the other Thorn and half kills him. The healthy Reckoner charges the Hurricane and receives support from the Redeemers. It comes pretty close to killing it off, which says a lot about the potential power in this list: Look at how much I've already killed!


Seeing as the Stormwall survives, we call the game. I'll take it from here quite comfortably.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Wow, very interesting game! I must say that post-HR feat nerf this is the hardest match I've had against Protectorate for sure. I have a lot of faith in this new theme force of theirs and Severius1 is a very natural counter to Haley2. Suffice is to say that this is an experience-intensive matchup and I already look forward to learning it in detail!

I think this matchup largely boils down to feats. Not the feats themselves, but what they deny, and how the casters can be safe while feating. Learning to build Fort Haley is always interesting. Sometimes you mess it up and die. Sometimes you get it right and break the game. The same feels like it might hold true for Severius1 here. Both lists are incredibly destructive and any mistake might just open an angle which turns the game around.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar