mandag 21. desember 2015

Battle Report #42 - Haley2 vs Skarre2 (50)

:: Prologue ::

I had a game against Cryx today and although this was a perfect opportunity to try out a list I have in mind for a new pairing I didn't have the models ready, unfortunately. More on this matter later. Regardless, last time I faced Skarre2 I lost and this time around I had some new ideas as to how to handle mr. DJ. To the game!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5 Effigy of Valor
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19 (bonded)
- Lightning Pod
- Thorn - PC: 8
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Alexia2 - PC: 4
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Tactical Arcanist Corp - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Opponent:
Skarre, Queen of the Broken Coast - WJ: +6
- Skarlock Thrall
- Deathripper - PC: 4
- Deathjack - PC: 12
Satyxis Raider Captain - PC: 2
Warwitch Siren - PC: 2
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist - PC: 2
Master Gunner Dougal MacNaile - PC: 2
Ragman - PC: 2
Bane Riders - Leader & 4 Grunts: 11
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls - Necrosurgeon & 3 Grunts: 2
Satyxis Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Satyxis Raider Sea Witch - Satyxis Raider Sea Witch 2
The Withershadow Combine - Malevolus, Admonia, & Tremulus: 5

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Fire Support was the mission and I won the roll-off, electing to go first. With Deathjack having AD I think it's important to get up the field. I placed the Stormwall centrally, Thorn + Alexia right flank and the rest left. Cryx responded with Riders right flank, Satyxis left and the rest middle.


:: Game ::

Perdition 6" + charge 9" gives the Deathjack 15.5" threat range. Zone-to-AD is 25" and as such I ran the Stormwall up 9" to be safe. Thorn and Alexia went towards my left flank and the shooters all advanced.


The Satyxis took up cover behind the obstacle and the central obstacle. Riders received Death Ward and advanced center + right flank. DJ took cover behind the obstacle. 


The problem for the Satyxis was that their cover isn't exactly safe as I can get good angles and ATGM with deadeye frequently hit DEF18 regardless (assuming the UA dies. She was behind the house so I could draw angles to her without cover). So I went to town with Deadeye on both ATGM and B13th. The remaining 5 focus was spent to boost a Time Bomb on Deathjack from Thorn, which subsequently Reaction Drove behind my lines. Stormwall and Junior shot up Riders.


In one of the more defining moments of the game, Skarre2 pushes up but elects not to feat this turn. I'm a little curious as to how this is supposed to work out because from my point of view this basically gives me the Deathjack for no loss.


I timebomb DJ, TK him around and shoot off Admonition with Eiryss2. Alexia spawns Thralls, 2 of which charge DJ and deal some damage, the last charges and kill a Rider. I pod to contest and Take my own flag behind TAC clouds for 1-1.


Withershadow take off my Arcane Shield and Riders charge me. Due to lack of front arc from leader and poor dice they accomplish very little. The flag is cleared at least. Skarre feats on Withershadow upkeep-remover, arc-node contesting my flag, herself and Gorman.


Stormwall receives a couple of focus and kills off the remaining Riders next to it. Alexia and Junior run up since I intend to feat and want to contest throughout his turn. Arcane Shield is worthless for a couple of turns since I can't take out the Withershadow model either (with Death Ward a boosted pod is not enough). I jam the arc node with tons of models, including Thorn, and run Eiryss behind it so it can't be allocated focus. Haley feats.


Skarre can't accomplish a whole lot under my feat, nor can her army. She decides to go for Alexia instead of junior and she barely goes down. I still contest though.


I'm a little short on time so instead of going for scenario here by taking out the Arc Node I decide to play all-out. Given the lack of Cryx left on the table I don't consider it particularly risky regardless. The idea is to send Eiryss around and shoot Skarre, who's standing on Admonition b2b with her flag. I have backstrike bonus due to her angle, I just have to survive a free strike hitting me on 10+. Said free strike misses and I hit Skarre, stripping her focus and admonition. The Stormwall then goes up and kills Skarre with its 4 focus and Temporal Acceleration. If I had missed with Eiryss I would've tried to take out the Arc Node and spent the focus on the Stormwall to blow up the objective instead. With it firmly put next to the flag I don't think Skarre could've scored easily, if at all.


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

What I largely fear when facing Cryx is that Satyxis stay safe until "everything else" comes forward and that Riders block my weak stuff from establishing a powerful flank. In this game, neither of these 2 happened. The Satyxis' T1 advance basically meant I could deal with them with the full power of 4 focus, B13th, TAC and ATGM. That's too much for them and I killed off everyone but 1 model in a single turn. Furthermore, the Riders on the right flank was of little concern because in that position they can't really trouble anything but the Stormwall. On the left they'd be a lot scarier because it would be tricky to position the Stormwall against them while also keeping it safe from mr. DJ. 

Speaking of DJ, this game I had 2 objectives in mind: Keep casting Time Bomb on it and get Thorn/Eiryss into it when the chance presents itself. I think the decision to push DJ up without feat-protection sealed its fate. True, it could've been Time Bombed regardless but it would at least have put some scenario pressure on me. 

Overall I think Cryx has to approach this game from a scenario perspective. Given these specific lists I don't think there's an angle for assassination and unless I make a big mistake, attrition is out of the window as well. An interesting game and I think that next time the Satyxis Raiders will be more conservative while the Riders will find the weak spots to harass. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar