tirsdag 29. desember 2015

Battle Report #47 - Caine2 vs Issyria (50)

:: Prologue ::

Today we had arranged to play for a long time at the club. We met at 9 and my first game was against Retribution. Facing Issyria I was happy to bring out Caine's Cohort again and I was particularly eager to see how the recent addition of ATGM would perform here.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Allister Caine - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Ace - PC: 7
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire - PC: 4
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 1
Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt: 4
Tactical Arcanist Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. - Boomhowler and 9 Grunts: 9
Rangers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Opponent:
Issyria, Sibyl of Dawn - WJ: +6
- Banshee - PC: 10
- Chimera - PC: 6
Arcanist - PC: 1
Mage Hunter Assassin - PC: 2
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios - PC: 3
Dawnguard Invictors - Leader & 9 Grunts: 10
- Invictor Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard 2
Stormfall Archers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Mage Hunter Strike Force - Leader & 9 Grunts: 8
- Strike Force Commander - Commander 2
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt: 4

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Issyria is an interesting caster, especially paired with Invictors. The thing is that the combination of feat + mini-feat is a brutal counter to some of Cygnar's main defenses, high-defense, clouds etc. This was no different. Thus I had to keep Caine safely tucked away and/or behind TAC cloud walls. Other than that my objective was to jam with Boomies and hide ATGM behind (from experience ATGM tend to get focused out quickly by Issyria) them. The scenario was Outflank and I went second. ATGM dropped centrally with Boomies on their left and the rest on the right. I wanted the wall with Caine in case Retribution tried anything fancy.



:: Game ::

Retribution advance but it's a bit of a cautious advance because he fears getting shot down T1. Narn and the MHA move to pressure my right flank with the Banshee and Chimera behind. MHSF sweep far left which suits me perfectly as this allows me to put up Boomies and ATGM as intended.


The reply is a 2-way split of my forces. Caine + Lynch take out the annoying solos in the woods. I put Alexia physically in the way of Caine to ensure no shenanigans can happen. I was pretty sure Caine was outside the Banshee's threat range.


Issyria strikes! The feat comes out, a bit premature in my opinion, and the Chimera has moved up far to channel blinding light on Caine. As Issyria rolls horribly this fails. The Banshee follows up as well and shoots Alexia but misses. On the left I lose a couple of Boomies, no biggie. Ace dies (he used infiltrate to taunt out the feat, worked wonders!) but in the grand scheme of things it's no biggie.


Perfect situation! Caine feats out the Banshee, the rest on my flank take out the Chimera easily (Kiss means I hurt like a freight train. B13th are essentially pow12 weapon masters with it). The left flank sees ATGM kill off MHSF while Boomies run and jam. TAC cloud away Caine. 2-0.


Eiryss2 sacrifices herself to contest. Ace tried to snatch her T1 with a Trick Shot on an invictor but failed to meet the 7+ to take her out. I hate 7+ rolls, they're so "easy" to miss (read: you fail to meet 7+ way more than you "feel" you should). Boomies get taken down to 2 models.


With my entire right flank intact I clear house and leave Retribution with just a few models left and I move to 4 points with Caine behind clouds yet again.


Retribution can't even theoretically contest me so we stop the game.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

In approaching this game I believe Retribution make a couple of strategical errors. First of all, the shooters aren't really threatening me significantly here. Caine needs to beware the combo of MHSF + Invictors but they're never around to force his hand. Secondly the flank left to deal with "my" zone is way too weak. While failing to land blinding light was a shame, the Chimera still would've died and Caine could've put up 3 magic bullets to start removing models in the other zone instead. The Banshee would be alive, probably, but disrupted by Eiryss and with nothing to support it. I'm not sure just how Scyrah could've approached this differently but the way the game played I was able to dictate most engagements and have them happen on my terms. 

TAC were amazing, their ability to let Caine operate to deep into the table just means he is that much more dangerous to the enemy. The Invictors are suddenly not a threat to him any longer while he keeps behind the clouds. 

I'm very happy with the way Caine plays into Retribution models. I'm not 100% he can handle any and all threats they can present, but so far it's very promising. More playtesting is surely needed!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar