tirsdag 29. desember 2015

Battle Report #52 - Haley2 vs Harbinger of Menoth (50)

:: Prologue ::

The last game of the day was against a Harbinger MMM-type list. While assumed to be in Haley's favour this had to be played. It's not like Harbinger keeping important stuff alive is trivial, exactly!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
- Stormwall - PC: 19
- Lightning Pod
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Tactical Arcanist Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Opponent:
The Harbinger of Menoth - WJ: +5
- Devout - PC: 5
High Exemplar Gravus - PC: 5
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon - PC: 3
Paladin of the Order of the Wall - PC: 2
Knights Exemplar Seneschal - PC: 3
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance - PC: 3
Saxon Orrik - PC: 2
Exemplar Bastions - Leader and 4 Grunts: 8
Exemplar Bastions - Leader and 4 Grunts: 8
Exemplar Vengers - Leader & 4 Grunts: 11
Daughters of the Flame - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We played Destruction and Harbinger dropped first. I put Stormwalls centrally with ATGM and TAC on the opposite flank of Vengers because I don't like cav into my shooters. Been there, tried that. Doesn't work.


:: Game :: 

Stuff runs.


I counter by immediately pulling off the Squire: 2 on bond-wall, 2 on the other, Temporal on the non-bonded wall, Deadeye ATGM. I make a big mistake as I don't shuffle left (this is arguably a pre-deployment mistake) as the non-bonded colossal basically stops in the linear obstruction. ATGM shoot up Nicia, kept alive by Harbinger, and Daughters, which she lets die. Stormwalls kill Gravus' horse and he is kept alive by Harbinger. A solo is kept alive a couple of times as well. Harbinger rolls terribly for the D3 wounds though and is seriously wounded. I put down covering fires to help vs Nicia to end my turn...


...but she simply runs around. Note to self: Covering Fire can be placed on my models since they've already activated and this would've stopped Nicia at least from jamming that many. Harby heals for her entire 10 focus, Vengers jam the zone.


I'm tired from a long day of playing and Harbinger is vulnerable. Although this is a pretty good spot to counter-feat and go for attrition I decide to try and kill Harbinger instead. 3+3 focus, Temporal on the bonded 'wall. I make a mistake as the non-bonded Stormwall decides to throw a Venger on the Devout to rob Harbinger of Shield Guard. The problem is said Venger won't hit Harbinger and thus I won't get the collateral. Would've been significantly better to simply shoot her twice, boosted. Anyway the second Stormwall finishes the task and the Protectorate caster dies to her "healing greed".

Victory to the Swans! 

:: Evaluation ::

The T1 Stormwall positioning and covering fire was a mess. Apart from that, there wasn't a whole lot this game to improve in given its short duration. I think my strategical positioning was perfect with the ATGM and TAC where I wanted them. I was easily up in terms of attrition and another round of hard shooting would've, again, been devastating. I think this game highlights why this list might often enjoy going second.

Harbinger's greed in keeping things alive and subsequently healing for her entire 10 focus (instead of splitting for say, 5 camp, 5 heal) gave me an angle which I just had to take. A pro-longed attrition game against Harby would probably have taken another ~80 minutes and I was simply exhausted. Besides, the assassination angles must be refreshed now and then. Indeed I messed up here as I threw a model instead of simply shooting which is easily better.

Our consensus was that Haley's significantly up here because she simply attritions better. I have the shooting and melee capabilities to simply overpower this Protectorate list both at range and in melee. I need to practice more against Protectorate for sure but these 2 games seem to indicate that Haley is indeed the right choice here. I also feel more comfortable fielding her with double Stormwall when up against an attrition-match like this than the Heroes variant. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar