tirsdag 29. desember 2015

Battle Report #48 - Caine2 vs Asphyxious2 (50)

:: Prologue ::

The second game of the day and I was facing Cryx, Asphyxious2 to be precise. Yet again it was Caine's time to take to the field. Gaspy presents a couple of unique challenges for Caine and I was eager to see how he'd handle it.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Allister Caine - WJ: +5
- Squire
- Ace - PC: 7
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 3
Alexia, Mistress of the Witchfire - PC: 4
Eiryss, Angel of Retribution - PC: 3
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 1
Stormsmith Stormcaller - PC: 1
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt - Lady Aiyanna & Master Holt: 4
Tactical Arcanist Corps - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. - Boomhowler and 9 Grunts: 9
Rangers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team - Lynch, Ryan & Watts: 4
Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Pistoleers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 6
- Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer - Officer 2
Opponent:
Lich Lord Asphyxious - WJ: +6
- Deathripper - PC: 4
- Helldiver - PC: 3
Bane Lord Tartarus - PC: 4
Darragh Wrathe - PC: 4
Saxon Orrik - PC: 2
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor - PC: 2
Bane Knights - Leader & 9 Grunts: 10
Bile Thralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 5
Bane Riders - Leader & 4 Grunts: 11
Necrosurgeon & Stitch Thralls - Necrosurgeon & 3 Grunts: 2
Mechanithralls - Leader & 5 Grunts: 3
Satyxis Blood Witches - Leader & 9 Grunts: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

It's been a while since I played vs Asphyxious2. My main concerns were excarnate, clouds and feat. Obviously, I might add. The idea to counter this was to play aggressively, take the field and do my best to prevent him from getting board control. I'd also have to make sure that Caine wasn't exposed. 

We were playing Outflank on my request. I wanted to see how Caine plays into Gaspy2 in a scenario that can suddenly go nuts in terms of points (dominating for 2 points is crazy with the big distances you often get in Outflank). I went first, deployed Caine middle-ish with B13th + Alexia + A+H + TAC to his left, ATGM centrally and boomies right.


I was a little afraid of the arc node + aoe nuke possibility T1 so my advance was a little on the cautious side. Apart from Caine, that is, who charged ahead (Blur + hill = DEF22).


Gaspy replies with Bane Knights shifting right and the Riders going left behind a wall of clouds. I realize the problem of a cautious advance as it's basically impossible for me to set up Lynch for an effective shot now. I keep forgetting how certain factions can completely abuse a piece of terrain in the middle like this to create a huge you-can't-see-me-wall.


Luckily, Caine has a panic button. I felt that this was the time to use said button. Given my position I was unable to bring Caine's power to bear on anything of note. That's not a good thing and given the position of the Riders I was in horrible shape for scenario purposes. So I hit the panic button: Rangers run up to get within 5" of Gaspy with LoS to him. Ace tries a trick shot on him but fails. Caine then charges a Ranger in the back, gate crashes into gaspy and kills him with reload + feat.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

There's a difference between being smart cautious and being paranoid. I think that in this game, it's suicide for Gaspy to go for T1 nuke shenanigans. At best, he gets a couple of models but Caine is a powerhouse that needs to be considered: Even nuking a key model (of which there are many!) isn't nearly enough nor what I believe Gaspy wants to spend his T1 focus on. My main take away then was to play significantly more aggressively T1 to prevent the clouds from stopping me like that. If Wrathe had used Beyond Death and/or the LoS to Gaspy had been blocked and/or there would be no space to land for Caine then I think I would've been in dire straits. 

As I've said before I'm not a fan of assassination runs but they sure are nice to have, obviously. Furthermore you can't never go for them because opponents will adjust and abuse it. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar