mandag 15. august 2016

Battle Report #257: Caine2 vs Vayl2

:: Prologue ::

Usually when I play I have more than enough time. I hate playing under stress. Don't get me wrong, I love the clock, but being able to discuss the matchup and not rush packing up etc are things I appreciate. Anyway yesterday was not such a day and I only had time for a quick game. Perhaps fitting then that the matchup was to be Caine2 vs Vayl2, explosive!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Allister Caine - WJ: +27
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 27)
- Lightning Pod
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 4
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Gobber Tinker - PC: 2
Ragman - PC: 4
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Rangers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight - WB: +28
-    Ravagore - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 19)
-    Typhon - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
-    Nephilim Bolt Thrower - PC: 11
-    Seraph - PC: 14
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blackfrost Shard - Sevryn, Rhylyss & Vysarr: 9
Blighted Nyss Raptors - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18
Hellmouth - Hellmouth & 3 Tentacles: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario is Incursion and Legion moves first. This means I have to premeasure 31.6" to anything juicy from Vayl2. I park Caine behind a Charger and the Stormwall and leave only the Tinker and Rangers exposed. Lances are within 33.6". The deployment is fairly symmetrical.


:: Game ::

Vayl decides to go for the Charger. You know, why not just throw out a POW12 on it when it costs you nothing? It cripples the gun. The Raptors are placed 19.1" away from Caine.


I see an excellent opening: I can charge the Tentacle with Caine, kill it and start shooting all those juicy raptors. Vayl even camps 0 fury because she got greedy (and she thought she had all angles pre-measured correctly) so I can trick shot and force her to play a dicey game if not outright kill her.

The problem is that I can't for the life of me roll the necessary 4+ to kill the Hellmouth. When I try to kill it with my 6th attack and fail I forfeit the game.

Sadly, a loss for the Swans

:: Evaluation ::

The big lesson learned here is to boost the second shot if the first shot doesn't kill the tentacle. I simply can't afford not to. Why the second shot you ask? I'm glad you asked! Mk. 3 introduced a curious rule stating that if you charge and you have the gunfighter rule and you choose to use said gunfighter rule to make ranged attacks in melee, all of your initial ranged attacks are limited to targeting models in your melee range. Yeah, it's wonky.

Since the game was over bottom of 1 I actually had time for another!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar