mandag 15. august 2016

Battle Report #258: Caine2 vs Vayl2

:: Prologue ::

Rematch was up, same lists, scenario, map and starting player. Let's get to it.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Captain Allister Caine - WJ: +27
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator - PC: 4
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 27)
- Lightning Pod
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 4
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Gobber Tinker - PC: 2
Ragman - PC: 4
Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Rangers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Storm Lances - Leader & 2 Grunts: 12
Opponent:
Vayl, Consul of Everblight - WB: +28
-    Ravagore - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 19)
-    Typhon - PC: 24 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
-    Nephilim Bolt Thrower - PC: 11
-    Seraph - PC: 14
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blackfrost Shard - Sevryn, Rhylyss & Vysarr: 9
Blighted Nyss Raptors - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18
Hellmouth - Hellmouth & 3 Tentacles: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

A quick re-rack and we started over. Same deployment and everything! Having learned my lesson I was now actively looking for a flank to overwhelm and start putting the pressure on as soon as possible. I find that it's often useful to think various possibilities through during your opponent's turn and do this a lot.

:: Game ::

No tentacle is committed this time around so no top of 1 slings. The line is also skewed quite heavily towards the right. Ravagore receives Admonition, Raptors receive Occultation.


I have to finish the game in 90 minutes and I don't want to rob my opponent of his time so I decide to play all turns quickly and this naturally leads to some mistakes. In this position I should've taken the time to do the math, pre-measure threat ranges and keep Caine safe. I failed all of the above.


Ok so a Ravagore into a Stormwall surely can't be fatal? Unless of course said Ravagore was effectively PS18 and I was stripped of Arcane Shield and he had follow up damage. Adding insult to injury I think Vayl has a pretty juicy shot at Caine himself here by running a tentacle up behind the 'wall and arcing through it. I was only camping 2 focus.

Anyway the play is made to kill the 'wall. Kiss lands after a Slipstream gets the guy in range, Vayl strips Arcane Shield and puts boundless up on the Ravagore as well as Slipstream. Luckily she had to feat at least. Due to messing up some of his movements however the Legion forces were unable to kill the Stormwall. It survived on a single box. Unfortunately that wasn't the cortex but hey, still good right?


I had an excellent opening here for scenario but I had to keep my cool: If I feated with Caine now I would still have multiple beasts to deal with later on and I thought I could take out the Ravagore without said feat. As such the decision was made to have Caine move up, shooting down a couple of things and then jump back. Before this however the rest had to clear the Ravagore. Ragman got in range for Death Field, a Ranger got in range for Mark the Target and the Stormwall + Charger took it out. Caine cleared up things on the right flank and Rangers took the flag. 1-0.


Vayl kills the Stormwall and establishes presence on the left flank. 1-1.


I am able to clear out most models on the right flank and score 2 more while still contesting the left flag. 3-1.


Seraph and Typhon move up to contest the flag. Due to a mistake in priorities the Typhon doesn't get to charge Ragman so he doesn't provide a whole lot of usefulness. 3-2.


Ragman casts Death Field. Charger moves up and pounds Typhon a bit. I get a Ranger up for Mark the Target and Caine aims + feats. I roll snake eyes on the second shot and kill Ragman, thus losing Death Field. Wow, ok. At least I get them both anyway because the Charger did a number on Typhon previously. I am able to run one solo to the middle flag and another to the right:


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

A bit of a rushed game with a couple of mistakes. The Stormwall simply cannot be charged by a heavy, at least not if Kiss is up. Even without that it is very dodgy. Vayl removing Arcane Shield is huge here. I'm not sure how I should try and play around this.

Once the Legion beasts commit they suffer a great deal of damage. The Charger did a lot of work in this game, its only weaknesses being the short range and junior having to stay close-ish. 

I think that in most games between Cygnar and Legion we have to position ourselves such that we threaten the scenario angle. I was able to do so here successfully and quickly, but I might not have if the 'wall had gone down to the alpha.

A great couple of games vs Legion and although they were littered with fairly basic mistakes I still learned a lot and have tons of thoughts as to the matchup and what I need to do. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar