fredag 13. januar 2017

Battle Report #395: Nemo3 vs Thagrosh1

:: Prologue ::

For our second game my opponent wanted to try his old reliable Thagrosh2 list. His Vayl2 list is currently undergoing various experiments, but the Thagrosh2 variant has been stable for a while and continued to deliver for him.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Nemo 3) Artificer General Nemo [+25]
- Storm Chaser Adept Caitlin Finch
- Stormwall [39]
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator [4]
Journeyman Warcaster [4]
- Firefly [8]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Gun Mage Captain Adept [5]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Opponent:
Thagrosh1
- Typhon
- Carnivean
- Seraph
- 4x Raeks
Fury management
Hellmouth

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Same map & scenario, this time Legion goes first. Raeks are unique, however in this particular matchup their weaknesses are significantly more glaring than their strengths. Even outside of feat my electro leaps are brutal. My plan here was to pod early and often and clear out stuff while advancing up and holding the feat for as long as possible.


:: Game ::

Raeks spread out, heavies are conservative. Someone's a little afraid of having stuff within 4" of other stuff after last game!


Stormwall receives 2 focus, Reinholdt strips stealth from the closest Raek. The colossal moves up and shoots it, but misses both requiring 11+ to hit because of Fog of War. I pod in front of it and ut down covring fires. The rest of my army leaps it to death.


One Raek runs in to jam Stormwall, another chills behind. Heavies start moving up.


I figure I can camp a ton, conserve feat, deal with the Raeks. Stormwall throws the jamming Raek on the other Raek, knocking them both down. GMCA + Reinholdt strip them and they die easily.


Legion players in my experience inevitably jump on assassination angles. Odds Machine had this at 16%, which is like Christmas Eve apparently. Unsurprisingly it fails, Nemo takes 11 boxes of damage though.


I decide to throw Typhon and feat to kill at least 2 heavies. Well, the throw fails. In hindsight I should have just hit it and bought attacks, so stupid of me. The Seraph is seriously hurt and the Carnivean goes down but despite feat and my best efforts the Typhon lives.


Luckily for me Typhon has a shitty THR stat so he frenzies. Fails to kill a Lance, even. The seraph is healed and tries to take Nemo's last boxes out but fails, 13+ to hit was too much. Thagrosh feats back the Carnivean which casts Spiny Growth.


Firefly kills Typhon. Lances and Laddermore kill Carnivean. This leaves GMCA, Nemo and Stormwall to kill Thagrosh. He has no beasts to transfer to and is thus rather exposed. A bit of lightning and a couple of big gun shots later he's very dead.


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

This matchup seems incredibly hard if not impossible for Thagrosh. I make a big mistake bottom of 1, the Stormwall should trample ahead and pod simply. By not trampling I enable Legion to jam me and keep me too far back on the table. It dies to leap anyways. Couple that with a GMCA who is stupidly close to the 'wall and would thus have tanked electro leaps before the jamming Raeks and you have a pretty bad setup.

When Legion went for the assassination run my opponent had a 3-0 scenario opening if he had sacrificed Typhon. This would've been a game-opener for him and I'm not sure I could've prevented the 5th point if he had gone all in on this approach at that point in time. The assassination run is what nearly every game against Legion seems to boil down to. Maybe they get tunnel vision? I don't know, I'm just glad I don't play that faction to be honest.

An interesting couple of games vs Legion. Yet again I'm left with the feeling that Nemo needs more volume. Luckily, the theme force opens up a couple of very interesting possibilities here so I'm very much looking forward to trying out a new variant of him in a tournament in less than 12 hours from now! Stay tuned for the Storm Division's baptism of fire.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar