søndag 29. januar 2017

Norwegian Masters #4 (#408): Nemo3 vs Wurmwood

:: Prologue ::

The field is really shrinking and around me there are tons of mercs and Circle players. I draw a Circle one with Wurmwood being dropped against me in Incursion. He also grabs first turn. Bleh. Luckily for me though, no Sentry Stones. That might mean I can annihilate a flank and get a scenario angle. Interesting!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Theme: Storm Division
(Nemo 3) Artificer General Nemo [+25], Bunker
- Storm Chaser Adept Caitlin Finch
- Squire [0]
- Firefly [8]
- Firefly [8]
- Firefly [8]
- Dynamo [18]
- Lancer [10]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Firefly [8]
Opponent:
(Wurmwood 1) Wurmwood, Tree of Fate [+27]
 - Cassius the Oathkeeper
 - Megalith [20]
 - Pureblood Warpwolf [17]
 - Feral Warpwolf [18]
Reeves of Orboros (max) [16]
Reeves of Orboros (max) [16]
Shifting Stones [3]
Gatorman Bokor & Bog Trog Swamp Shamblers [11]
Swamp Gobber Chef [1]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

I decide I want to try and go for the right flank. Based on Circle's deployment I think my opponent will struggle to deny me this. I deploy accordingly, but keep a strong center with elements on the left flank as well.


:: Game ::

Opponent opens up with a fairly even advance across the board. However, he forgets to activate both Wurmwood, Cassius -and- shifting stones. He clocks over to me, then realizes in a couple of seconds he hasn't and clocks back. I reject this take back and he insists he is allowed to do so. We call a judge over and he rules in my favour. This is a guy I play against quite a bit and at the club we often do a ton of take backs. However this is a tournament, NM none the less, and this is a mistake in the same way any other mistake is (e.g. I didn't ask Christoffer in game 1 if I could cast Chain Lightning at something else when I found out his Swarm had Stealth, that is a wasted spell).


Refused flank again. Kind of reminiscent of Game 2. I fry a couple of Reeves if memory serves.


My opponent is still off his game due to his turn 1 mistake and makes a series of mistakes: Both Megalith and the Pureblood are within Dynamo's threat projection and the Reeves on my strong flank has clumped up as they tried to take out Lances with Wraithbane. 2 Lances die. Wurmwood and Cassius cloud up on the left.


Easy feat turn! I kill Pureblood, Megalith and all Reeves on the right flank. 1-0 on scenario as well and a Firefly contests him on the left flank. Awesome!


Dynamo is made stationary. The Feral charges in with warped Strength... and does 8 (!!!) boxes to it in total. Wow, just... wow. I did have Electrify, but still. Wurmwood feats.


The plan is quite easily to kill the Feral by walking Dynamo up to strike Wurmwood. I load him up with 3 focus and it's all good to go. Except I forget to shake stationary. Lolz. Another mess of a turn. I am so far ahead however that I get Nemo to be fairly safe regardless. I don't think he has enough power left to deal with the situation anyhow.


Luckily for me I was correct. He tries to get a Hellmouth angle but he even misses the 4+ to pull out his own Feral and it's game over. Even if he had made it I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been close enough: Cassius had to kill the Lance blocking the Feral in so he would be pulled at half speed through the forest. On top of that he had free strikes to tank and there was no vision to Nemo because of Finch and Squire making a LoS-wall.


Anyway...

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

The unfortunate start turn 1 sets the stage for Nemo. However it's the mental factor of this and not just shaking it off which truly breaks the game: Turn 2 is an unmitigated disaster for Circle and this is where I break the game.

That being said, Nemo3 feels really legit into Circle. He finds the angles, he spreads out so well and he's just so lethal here. It could be that this changes as people get used to playing him but for now I think he's the most comfortable Wurmwood drop I've ever had. Going second against Wurmwood in Incursion is a nightmare for even our drops which are usually solid into him, but with Nemo it nearly feels ok. As I've mentioned previously Magnetic Field is such an awesome spell here.

A great game and I was ready for the Semi-Finals! Guess what? Everyone else who was undefeated was list-locked! Suddenly my game 3 Stryker3 drop was huge!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar