fredag 23. juni 2017

Battle Report #536: Haley2 vs Rasheth

:: Prologue ::

During the Norwegian-Swedish WTC team gathering practice we discussed various builds for, well, basically all factions. One interesting list which popped up was a Rasheth build which Johan had discovered at Steam Storm or something. While he didn't believe in it himself, we definitely wanted to try it out!

:: Lists ::

:: Cygnar ::
"TimeStorm"
Theme: Heavy Metal
4 / 4 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Hurricane - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
Storm Strider - PC: 18
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
Lieutenant Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Reliant - PC: 14
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
:: Opponent ::
[Theme] Winds of Death
(Rasheth 1) Dominar Rasheth [+28]
 - Basilisk Krea [7]
 - Cyclops Raider [9]
 - Cyclops Shaman [8]
 - Cyclops Shaman [8]
 - Cyclops Shaman [8]
 - Cyclops Shaman [8]
Extoller Soulward [3]
Venator Dakar [0(4)]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Venator Flayer Cannon Crew [0(5)]
Venator Reivers (max) [15]
 - Venator Reiver Officer & Standard [4]
Venator Reivers (max) [15]
 - Venator Reiver Officer & Standard [4]
Venator Slingers (min) [8]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Breakdown and my opponent took first turn. There's a lot of interesting dynamics here. I believe I have to push one flank with the Strider to gain table space. To do so without having it just die on me it needs Arcane Shield, otherwise Rasheth can really, really put the hurt on it. In doing so however the Hurricane needs to be more than a little careful in this matchup. We discussed the tactics before the game and agreed that Skorne probably need to use the free obstacle as a staging place for the beasts and then bounce from terrain piece to terrain piece from there.

:: Game ::


Cyclops take the 'wall, Reivers stay out of Storm Strider threat range.


The threat ranges both players need to respect here are positively batshit. There's just so much space opening up! I slowly push my things.


Skorne keep respecting threat ranges, Cyclops shuffle forward to the next cover piece.


I score points and try and keep my things safe as best as I can.


I lose a jack. Reivers on the right flank are forcing the issue.


I find a good feat position, clear out Reivers on the left a bit and claim more points. The Cyclops in cover with Krea aura are painful to deal with.


CP is becoming an issue for my opponent.


I make a push which essentially breaks this game as I take out too much in the middle and make it too hard for my opponent to contest.


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

It's scary how much firepower that Rasheth list has. I think you need to play this matchup a good few times to properly learn it, and this goes for both parties involved. The threat ranges are so crazy and the output is so big. I doubt we got all our priorities 100% on our very first try.

What's interesting is that neither side really wants to advance and claim space here. I'm not sure exactly how I ended up with a superior scenario position. It feels as though it could just as easily have been Skorne.

A very interesting list and a very interesting game!

2 kommentarer:

  1. Very interesting indeed!

    What are your thoughts on the latest known changes to Steamroller (solos can score flags but not round zones; victory at 5 CP difference)? Do you think it helps to keep the Heavy metal builds in check a little bit, or do you think they aren't going to be affected much?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. It is definitely a nerf to heavy metal, which is a good thing in my book because that is such a strong theme force now. However it's also a buff to Ghost Fleet, and I don't think that's a good thing...

      Slett