tirsdag 8. august 2017

Iron Moot: Masters #1 (#557): Haley2 vs Amon

:: Prologue ::

On the second day of Iron Moot the 64-player Masters event was the big thing. Last year this was an Iron Gauntlet Qualifier event (it still yields points for the Iron Gauntlet but is now a Masters event seeing as IGQ is not a format any longer), which I won in a thrilling finals vs Karchev's Mad Dogs (link). I know that it's very, very unlikely that I'll go to the US to play next year (simply too expensive in terms of both holidays and money to be worth it for me) so this event for me was more about meeting skilled players and having good games. Iron Moot this year was a real shark tank and given Friday's SR win I had confidence that I could put up a fight against the best out there. The Masters was an excellent event to prepare me for Sunday's Nordic Championship (which I decided Friday night would be my main goal for the weekend).

For my very first game I drew another clubmate from Oslo. Seems like if you to Sweden it's hard to play Swedes! Geir was fielding Protectorate, a caster pairing of Feora3 and Amon. I expected the latter, dropped Haley2 and got what I thought I would.


:: Lists ::

:: Cygnar ::
TimeStorm v2
Theme: Heavy Metal
4 / 4 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
Storm Strider - PC: 18
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Charger - PC: 9
Lieutenant Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Cyclone - PC: 13
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
:: Opponent ::
Amon, Warjack Spam Theme
- Dervishes (13?)
- Vigilant
2x Choir
Solos

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was The Pit 2 and Amon seized the initiative. My plan here was to bide my time for as long as possible, set up favourable fights and ensure that Haley would be safe.


:: Game ::

Passage up. The Dervishes without rightly decide to hang back.


Thorn moves up, I TK a Dervish out and blast him to bits with the Stormwall. Strider moves within 10" of the objective. No jacks in charge range of Dervishes.


Amon pushes, but crucially decides to cast Shielding this time around...


...which lets my shooters wreak absolute havoc on the Dervishes: The Strider, Charger and Cyclone all light up the Protectorate jacks. Haley feats and it's now down to dice more or less: How much can I disable in time?


Geir gets next to no work done on my feat turn.


I pull back and kill a few more Dervishes. It's really close though and I'm by no means feeling confident here.


A key move I made was to disrupt Dervishes. I fluked on one with the 'wall in melee though and Geir had a disruption-remover so it's conceivable that he could've feated and gone all in for the 'wall here, which would've opened the game up wide. Instead however he played it more conservatively and that left the 'wall on plenty of boxes.


My next turn barely started before it was clear to the both of us that this was now a mop-up and we agreed to end the game.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Haley2 vs Amon has traditionally been a very good matchup for Haley2. However what I noticed this game was that the shift my lists have taken to better deal with e.g. Cryx leaves a hole against lists like this: Without a melee heavy on Jakes your ability to grind out Dervishes diminishes significantly.

I believe that had Geir sung Passage and went for the 'wall post-feat, this game could have gone either way. It certainly is the hardest game I've had against Amon with Haley2 for a long time. It's worth mentioning that I probably should have had Thorn closer to the middle, though I'm not sure how I should've dealt with contesting in that case.

A good game and a good start to the Masters for me!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar