mandag 7. august 2017

Iron Moot: Steamroller ADR #1 (#552): Haley2 vs Fyanna2

:: Prologue ::

Before I start this report, a short introduction is needed. My motivation for Warmachine & Hordes has been at an all-time low this summer. In my area it's normal for miniature gaming to sort of hibernate during the summer months, on top of this real life stuff has made me take a look at my priorities. Don't get me wrong, I love this game and it's the best when I'm in the mood for it. Sometimes other things need to get sorted out first is all.

In any case I wasn't even remotely ready to go to Iron Moot. My analysis was lacking, lists were old and not tested as well as I would have liked. On top of that I stayed up late to finish painting (I am a big fan of hardcore painting requirements as it forces people to care about the hobby, which in turn makes for a lot more enjoyable games. This time I was way behind though). I'm sad to say the Strider wasn't finished close to what I wanted it to be, a very rushed job made it tournament legal but far from the polished thing I was hoping it would be. The effort I've put into converting the Doof Strider™ deserved a proper job. I hope to be able to do that later on.

Iron Moot had an event starting 11AM on Friday. Living in Oslo which is roughly 3 hours by car away, 3 fellow gamers and I decided to leave Friday morning. This meant I had to get up at 6AM and considering I painted the Strider until 2AM that didn't leave a lot of room for sleep. Arriving at Iron Moot I had 0 expectations and just wanted to get some decent games in, meet friends from abroad and have a good time.

The very first game saw me draw one of the players I rode down with: Martin and his Legion. Martin and I have played a lot together and know each other very well. I brought Haley2 (an evolution of TimeStorm meant to better deal with Cryx and scenario plays) and Stryker1 (Jaeger Team), while Martin had Fyanna2 and Absylonia2. I expected Fyanna2 and had no second guesses about dropping Haley2 here. In my experience shooty-heavy Haley is massively favoured in this matchup. Let's get to the game!

:: Lists ::

:: Cygnar ::
TimeStorm v2
Theme: Heavy Metal
4 / 4 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Major Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Squire - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
- Thorn - PC: 13
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 25)
- Lightning Pod
Storm Strider - PC: 18
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Charger - PC: 9
Lieutenant Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Cyclone - PC: 13
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
:: Opponent ::
Fyanna2, Oracles
- Seraph
- 3x Neraph
- 2x Angelius
- Naga
Various solos

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We were playing Outlast and I went first. The idea was to get up, claim table space, get pieces into aggressive positions and force him to feat early.


:: Game ::

Just to be sure I'm 100% we go through Fyanna's spell list. Including Gallows, which I note "is the one that pulls, right?" Martin replies yes...


...somehow I still manage to place Thorn in a position where a Spell Martyr can run up. Oh well. Fyanna pulls Thorn out and he's killed by a charging Angelius. My opponent doesn't feat however...


So I take advantage of the situation and start shooting birds left, right and center. The Cyclone makes a mess of things: It's able to aim for RAT8 and rolls a lot of shots. The Charger, Stormwall, Strider and Firefly all follow up with decent shooting as well and I deal a ton of damage to the angry birds.


Fyanna feats. The Neraph on the left toes the zone, the remaining Angelius jams the Charger, Strider and Arlan, the Neraph on the right takes up a defensive position.


I TK Strider, Arlan and Charger. Haley moves back, out of threat ranges. Shooting deals with the 2 birds on the left. Stormwall tries to pummel the Neraph on the right but no such luck.


Fyanna of course has overtake so by killing the Charger she can actually reach Haley. I am camping 2 focus so it's a long shot no matter what. Dice don't agree with Martin though and he's sitting the middle of my army, camping instead. Hoping to somehow miraculously survive to get another shot...


...I'll have none of it however and kill him dead: Stormwall throws the Hellion to knock Fyanna down and all hell breaks loose as my army opens up on her.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Fyanna's feat is a nightmare for melee lists, however I've found that Cygnar shooting generally deals well with it if you have control to follow up. Haley2 is an excellent counter and this list is incidentally nearly tailor-made to deal with her. Losing Thorn was a big blow but I still came out on top in terms of attrition. Sure, maybe Martin should've feated but I'd have my own feat to cover things up in return. A horrible start for me in terms of playing, but the matchup carried this home for me. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar