søndag 12. februar 2017

Battle Report #419: Haley2 vs Harkevich

:: Prologue ::

I wasn't sure whether to write this report or not because this was an intro-game. I don't usually write reports from intro-games I play because the merits of the models and not the quality of the game is in focus. Anyway this game developed to be rather interesting and as such I think it's worth getting out there.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25], Storm Division, Fuel Cache
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [0]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Firefly [8]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Opponent:
Theme: Winter Guard Kommand
Kommander Harkevich, The Iron Wolf - WJ: +28
- Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 13)
- Kodiak - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 2)
- Juggernaut - PC: 12
- Juggernaut - PC: 12
- Marauder - PC: 10
- Marauder - PC: 10
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich - PC: 4
Winter Guard Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 10
- Winter Guard Rocketeer - PC: 2
- Winter Guard Rocketeer - PC: 2
- Winter Guard Rocketeer - PC: 2
Mortar - PC: 0

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The map was Incursion and Khador seized the initiative. I took the side which forced Khador into a central funnel, should my opponent want to move up in the middle instead of trying for a flank.


:: Game ::

The Infantry run up aggressively on the right flank. I respond by respecting the Rockets, however Thorn runs towards them (with Arcane Shield) and Haley throws out 4 Arcane Bolts. I have a plan to secure both flanks and to do this I need to thin out these guys ASAP.


Harkevich doesn't want to feat so the middle is simply consolidated. The Infantry on the right flank commit to make 2-0 at least difficult-ish to get to for me.


I obviously want to go to 2. In this matchup, feating first is a big no-no unless it cannot be avoided or you have a big scenario opening. However due to the central funnel here I have a lot of space. As long as I can clear out the infantry on the right flank I should be good to go!

Junior ditches Arcane from Thorn and puts in on the Stormwall. Said Stormwall places itself within charge range of but a single Kodiak and pods nearby an obstruction. The Lances shoot this pod to kill the Mortar behind the obstacle. #JustCygnarThings. On the right flank I commit Haley's focus stack, the Firefly, Thorn and the Lances to clear stuff out. Even Laddermore gets to help out. Needless to say they die. 2-0 and feat withheld. I absolutely love my position.


Khador have to commit their jacks and Harkevich feats. Jacks body-block him so that an assassination will be very hard. I lose 2 Lances on the right flank and 1 on the left flank.


I TK + Dominate the Jugger on the right flag to go kill a Rocket dude. Suits him right for killing Lances! On the left flank I throw a Kodiak onto a Marauder. Another Kodiak on the right flank is TK'd away from the flag. Haley camps 1, moves up and feats. I body block a Kodiak to prevent it from moving up to Haley and boost a cloud on her. I mess up a bit with the other one so that one can do that though. 3-0, both feats are out.


Scenario forces the issue for Khador. I kinda forget that Harkevich has an offensive spell so it's all about assassination now! One boosted spell and the boosted cloud was more than I thought he had to be honest and I should have camped 2. Regardless Odds Machine puts it at ~25% and the dice are in my favour so Haley lives.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Incursion is a tricky scenario, it's so spread out. What I wanted to show with this game is that against pure melee lists, Haley2 is able to spread out amazingly well with so many Lances and apply a lot of pressure to many areas of the table at once. That is pretty unique.

The central funnel I gave my opponent worked perfectly. One of Harkevich's main weaknesses is that he has to block up. Anticipating when and where he'll advance up the table is key to taking advantage of this. In this game my opponent's deployment gave his plan away. He probably should have tried to position his brick to have control of two flags, not just the one in the middle.

Lastly I want to point out that Arcane Shield can be very valuable on both the Lances and Thorn if you want some aggressive plays early game. Just make sure you plan for it and have all the pieces where you need them for the subsequent turns (i.e. don't have Stormwall too far away from Junior to receive Shield turn 2). I guess I should also point out that my opponent had a lot of help in this game from an experienced player. The way the game developed we got to cover a lot of bases. I truly believe in showcasing the really powerful things you can do in this game to make beginners visualize how complex and interesting Warmachine & Hordes really is, hence the powerhouse matchup. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar