mandag 20. februar 2017

SmogCon: Iron Arena #2 (#432): Stryker1 vs Krueger2

:: Prologue ::

We have come to the very last game of SmogCon. Fear not however, it was also one of the most interesting ones. I dare say it was the best game I had all weekend. There is a lot of talk about the Storm Division theme, but have you seen what some of our casters can do in Heavy Metal?! I was fortunate enough to yet again borrow some models to test out a Stryker1 list I'd been drooling over. My opponent? Krueger2 with tons of anti-spell stuff...

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
[Theme] Heavy Metal
(Stryker 1) Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
 - Charger [9]
 - Stormwall [39]
 - Stormwall [39]
 - Squire [0]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
 - Charger [9]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [0]
 - Charger [9]
Opponent:
[Theme] The Wild Hunt
(Krueger 2) Krueger the Stormlord [+27]
 - Feral Warpwolf [18]
 - Pureblood Warpwolf [17]
 - Woldwyrd [9]
 - Woldwyrd [9]
Reeves of Orboros (max) [16]
Reeves of Orboros (max) [16]
Wolves of Orboros (max) [11]
 - Wolves of Orboros Chieftain & Standard [0]
War Wolf [0]
War Wolf [2]
War Wolf [2]
Gallows Grove [2]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We were playing Extraction and I got first turn. The idea was quite simply to let Snipe work for me here and save my feat for as long as possible. I wanted Chargers on both flanks since the middle would get crowded. 


:: Game ::

Stuff runs up. I put up Snipe on the yellow 'wall.


Krueger decides to feat. This catches both 'walls and 2 Chargers. Had he not feated I would've had so many aggressive options top of 2.


The Feral is exposed. I figure that if I can put some serious hurt onto that beast with shooting, Krueger will be forced to make a play. The idea is to back off, shoot a ton and then save my feat. The thing is that since I have to cycle Snipe to make this happen my blue/black Stormwall will be left with an upkeep on it, but no arm bonuses. I figure that Circle would rather go for the yellow 'wall since it's in a less awkward spot so I decide to cast Arcane Shield on it after the Snipe-cycling to at least force a bit of a decision for Krueger with regards to how he spends his fury.

The Feral takes a horrible beating from the POW15s hitting him. The covering fires also provide me with some sort of area denial.


Krueger goes all in! It's about the yellow Stormwall and he can get both Wyrds, Reeves and a War Wolf into it... All with Wraithbane! The math for this is scary, but dice aren't completely agreeing with my opponent so luckily for me the Stormwall survives on 10-ish boxes. The Reeves on the left remove both weapon systems from Jakes' Charger. No points are scored. Wolves Ambush.


I gotta feat but I feel I still cannot risk my backlines. therefore I absolutely have to deal with Wolves. My solos and Stryker himself get some initial work done but the sheer volume dictates a 'wall. The yellow 'wall gets repaired by Arlan and kills the Feral with shooting. No upkeeps are online now, so no purgation.


The yellow 'wall is again the target for Circle but ARM24 is a thing and it's good to go still. So much work, so much tank! Yellow 'wall is unfortunately outside of 4" of the flag (my bad) so Krueger goes to 2-0.


I clear out tons of Reeves and a Wyrd.


The 'wall has to die. A Wyrd and the Pureblood get it done. 3-0 for Krueger2.


Unfortunately for my opponent attrition is running too fast and I kill the last Wyrd. I also move to 1 CP here on the left flag. Krueger cannot contest it in his own turn so that's 2CP. The Pureblood tries to kill the Stormwall but it's not in contest range of the right flag. In my very last turn then I simply score both flags with Chargers and have the 'wall kill the objective for a 5-3 win.


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

What a way to end the weekend! A super-exciting game with a very promising and interesting list. I think the Krueger1 list I met is a serious, serious problem for many of the Cygnar lists in play these days. Heavy Metal brings something quite different to the table than Lance spam though. I must admit: I quite like it! Looking towards casters like Kraye, Darius, Stryker1, Sloan and even Haley2 there are so, so many options here.

In this game I probably got too greedy. The 'wall is actually in real risk of dying with an upkeep on it, even if it's arcane shield. The wyrds make upkeeps a hazardous affair, yet at the same time Snipe is needed to get work done because of Windstorm. Perhaps the answer is to prioritize the Chargers for Snipe? I'll be sure to test this list out more in the time to come.

SmogCon was a great event. I'm really glad I went and I had an amazing time. Results weren't quite what I had hoped they would be. The Dice Gods Giveth And The Dice Gods Taketh Away! A special thanks to Daniel and Patrick for borrowing me a ton of models I could and should have brought myself. A huge thanks to Richard for bringing an army tray for me, a real life saver! Lastly a thanks to everyone I played with, talked to, drank with and had fun with throughout the weekend. I hope to see you around!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar