mandag 20. februar 2017

SmogCon: Masters D #2 (#428): Stryker1 vs Stryker1

:: Prologue ::

For my second game on Saturday it was time to bring out Stryker1! I was up against Michael who's recently switched from Circle to Cygnar. Our mirror saw us both drop Stryker1. I've played Michael before, at IronMoot 2016. That was a great game and I was looking forward to another close-fought encounter!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
[Theme] Storm Division
(Stryker 1) Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
 - Charger [9]
 - Stormwall [39]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
 - Charger [9]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Opponent:
[Theme] Storm Division
(Stryker 1) Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
 - Stormwall [39]
 - Centurion [17]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
 - Charger [9]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Storm Lances (min) [12]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was definitely live. Outlast is a thing! Most people seem to consider mirrors to be boring. I find them highly interesting. In this matchup I had a big advantage in the Lance Wars™ but Michael's Centurion was potentially a problem. He got first turn, sadly. I was hoping to make my shooting count for a lot.


:: Game ::

I wanted to clear the right flank ASAP. This involved Junior's charger and Snipe. I got off to a great start, killing 2 out of 3 there. My Stormwall ran up to claim table space.


Mike's Cygnar consolidate their positions. Centurion moves up with Polarity Field.


I try and clear out the Lance on the right with the Charger but it fails. The Stormwall has to step up. The second Charger receives Snipe and starts working on the Lances on the left flank. I want to conserve my pods so I offer up a Lance on the left flank to contest.


The presence of my Lances on the right flank prompts the Centurion to commit itself. It kills a Lance. Not much else happens. Curiously the enemy Stormwall keeps podding to make things here and there annoying.


Mike's up to 1-0. My idea here is to throw out the Centurion, body-block it with Lances and score points myself. The Charger on the left kills 2 Lances but disastrously the Stormwall fails its boosted 5+ to hit the centurion. Wow, that is bad.


Mike runs Stryker into the zone and protects him with the Charger and the Stormwall. 3-0 on CP. Lances jam.


There's an opening. The enemy Stormwall has spent all its pods so if I can body-block stuff out and throw the Centurion I can deny him the ability the contest in his own turn. This all works out and I'm just hoping there's nothing I've missed. I even take out the Charger's cortex so the only angle I see is for his Stormwall to run, though to do that stuff needs to be clear out.


Due to recently having changed from Circle to Cygnar, Michael's not up to date on the rules and he mistakenly thought he could pod again. When his Stormwall eventually activates there's no run and without pods he's unable to contest me.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

What a game! So clutch, so many issues. This is my first game with Stryker1 in a very, very long time. I think I'm favoured here because I value more shooting and more Lances a lot in this matchup. However I make a strategical mistake by not sending the Stormwall to counter Mike's Stormwall. With Lance Wars™ advantages that grind is in my favour. The Centurion is great at contesting, true, but shit at clearing.

The way the game developed it was pretty crucial that I failed the 5+ to throw the Centurion out. I had committed the Lances on the right flank to ensuring the Centurion would need to keep Arcane Shield and/or feat to remain relevant. I was also in the process of wrapping around to threaten Stryker. This is probably a mistake as the commitment is too heavy, but in any case it was what it was. When that throw failed to connect I was in trouble. Had Michael known about the pods I likely would have lost.

A great game again against a great sport. 2 games and 2 casters out of the way, very promising. I was also super happy to bag a win with Stryker!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar