mandag 20. februar 2017

SmogCon: Masters A #3 (#424): Haley2 vs Irusk2

:: Prologue ::

The third game saw me face Khador in the hands of Matt. I noticed Harkevich but before I could mentally prepare myself for a long, long grind I saw that said Harkevich only had a single Kodiak. The other two casters were Sorscha1 and Irusk2 so this was an easy Haley2-drop all the way. I received Irusk2 in return. Interesting!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25], Storm Division, Fuel Cache
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [0]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Firefly [8]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Opponent:
(Irusk 2) Supreme Kommandant Irusk [+27]
 - Behemoth [25]
 - Juggernaut [12]
Iron Fang Uhlans (max) [20]
Winter Guard Infantry (max) [10]
 - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
 - Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard [4]
Winter Guard Rifle Corps (max) [13]
 - Winter Guard Rocketeer (3) [6]
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich [4]
Gobber Tinker [2]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Take and Hold. Terrain was highly favourable for me with lots of places for Haley to go hide on both sides. A lot of rough terrain features meant my Lances would struggle to assault but I think that in this matchup it's all about having them shoot anyway so that didn't worry me too much. I think this game is mine to lose, if I play cautiously and just make the right plays I think the dice need to be beyond crazy to allow Irusk a win.

Right off the bat I decided to not bother with scenario here. I wanted to drag this out and make it a game of attrition. By removing key pieces and feating early I am confident that can give me what I need to whittle Matt's forces down.


:: Game ::

I start off the game of skill by forgetting to activate Laddermore. It's not like her lightning generator is important here. Wait, what?


Khador troops fan out. Artifice is put down to deny Lances charging in on the left flank. Uhlans block the Stormwall from capitalizing on Domination in the center. The WGI on the right flank hang back.


I want to establish myself in the left part of the table. The idea then is to feat now, lock stuff down, send the 'wall in to hit horsihorsies and then pod to have the Lances shoot WGI. Temporal Acceleration on the Firefly should also help to clear out infantry. I continue the game of skill by forgetting to pod. What on Earth am I doing? This is so bad. Regardless the Firefly and Lances manage to start getting some work done. It's not a disaster yet and that says a few things about how strong this matchup is for me: If I had done everything I should have by now the left flank would be history for Irusk.


The Infantry run to cover the right flank. Uhlans jam the 'wall again and the center keeps still. The shooting targets the Firefly. While its movement is crippled neither its gun nor its cortex are taken out.


I spend a minute or two looking for angles on Behemoth. I figure out it's not the play, better to back up and have the 'wall shoot stuff instead. Laddermore and Lances clear jamming Uhlans, Stormwall shoots Infantry and big Lances + TA Firefly clear up the left flank. It's looking good now and with Haley having Force Field up behind a big piece of obstruction I feel very confident.


Irusk feats and sends in the Juggernaut. Behemoth moves to threaten it (the proxy with the two big sticky thingies). From here on out I just dominate Behemoth every single turn and keep shooting infantry. The grind is eventually won on scoring on my opponent's flag to 5-0.




Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

As I anticipated this is a very favourable matchup and despite some initial setbacks I was able to quite comfortably bring this game home. I am pretty sure that Irusk2 is not the way Khador should deal with Cygnar. Harkevich with triple Kodiaks and Vlad1 both feel better for example.

The mistakes with Laddermore and the missing pod in the early turns annoyed me pretty much, but I was able to get past it and play a better game from turn 3 onwards. It's important to let mistakes go and focus on the table as it is, not as it could have been.

3-0 and with only 2 games left I was really hoping for a matchup where I could drop Haley3 to not be list-locked in the very last game.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar