fredag 7. oktober 2016

Battle Report #312: Haley3 vs Amon

:: Prologue ::

I've played a handful of games this week which I haven't had the time to report on just yet. Expect a string of them to come up now in short time! First up is Haley3 vs Amon. I think this is an interesting test because if Haley3 has game into him, she might just be a decent Protectorate drop. The TL;DR of it is that it depends on a lot of things of course but this is a start.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
High Allegiant Amon Ad-Raza - WJ: +29
- Hierophant - PC: 3
- Crusader - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Crusader - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Crusader - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Crusader - PC: 10
- Crusader - PC: 10
- Templar - PC: 15
- Devout - PC: 9
- Dervish - PC: 7
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist - PC: 3
Vassal of Menoth - PC: 3
Vassal Mechanik - PC: 1
Wrack - PC: 1
The Covenant of Menoth - PC: 4
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4
Choir of Menoth - Leader & 3 Grunts: 4

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Recon and Protectorate moves first. My plan is to see if I can force him to commit unfavourably and possibly even threaten a scenario angle.


:: Game ::

Fortify goes up on the Templar, Mobility + Synergy are cast. Shielding across the board.


Clouds, Distortion, Supremacy. Lances flank right. Probably too far out. I was afraid I would get jammed but with Ghost Walk it really is a non-issue. Furthermore, jamming that far out right puts them out of control. Poor play.


The Protectorate jacks decide to commit and try and form an impervious wall of steel. The thought is that hopefully there will be enough left alive post-alpha to hurt me.


I brainfart as I decide to send in Grenadiers instead of simply shooting and boosting. Since I have to buy melee attacks as opposed to getting them for free this is a waste of potential. My opponent also sang Shielding to prevent shenanigans (which I think is fair). In any case I decide to melee-commit just about everything. With aiming Grenadiers coupled with Flux they hit on 4s on engaged jacks and with Ragman are still PS15. I lose a lot of potential going into melee instead but oh well. The Lances are also horribly out of position. I send in Thorn to disrupt Templar +2 more. The alpha at least does work in the middle.


Synergy helps offset the worst of the disruption somewhat and Templar receives Empower. The retaliation is worse than I had hoped it would be. Amon's list really is tough.


The Ironclad was lucky to survive and even luckier as it rolls crazy dice with its open fist (hammer was crippled), killing a Crusader on full health I believe. I also manage to get some of the Lances in but it's still not spectacular.


The lines are really thinning out by now and it's a solid slugfest. For the next few rounds we just trade blows. My team is starting to run dangerously low...






Getting Haley out on the flag was something I should've done sooner. It finally puts the pressure on my opponent to commit to unfavourable fights and I manage to take the game home on scenario eventually, though at this point in time the attrition was in my favour as well because of the scenario pressure.



Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

This much armour definitely felt uphill. That being said, I'm fairly sure I played my Lances way, way wrong here. I seem to often do this with Haley3 and it pisses me off. How hard can it be? They're a broken cav unit, I should be able to produce stellar results with them. It's like I'm still stuck in Mk. 2 revive mindset with them. I really have to work on this.

Although chewing through all of this felt like an uphill battle I think better play on my part (Lances in better positions, shooting instead of going into melee with Grenadiers for example) might change the course of this game. I really want to try and get a rematch soonish to see if I can improve my play here and how that affects the matchup.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar