mandag 24. oktober 2016

Battle Report #330: Haley3 vs Lylyth3

:: Prologue ::

I got in a couple of games against Lylyth3 today. Always an interesting matchup and one I feel I need to understand better strategically. I also need more practice with Haley3 so this was pretty sweet.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
(Lylyth 3) Lylyth, Reckoning of Everblight [+29]
 - Succubus [4]
 - Naga Nightlurker [8]
 - Nephilim Bolt Thrower [11]
 - Seraph [14]
 - Carnivean [19]
 - Typhon [24]
Strider Scouts [9]
 - Strider Scout Officer & Musician [4]
Blighted Nyss Shepherd [1]
Blighted Nyss Shepherd [1]
Blighted Nyss Shepherd [1]
The Forsaken [4]
Strider Deathstalker [4]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We were playing Entrenched and Lylyth got first turn. I chose a side with a hill, a forest and rubble. The idea was to have Haley behind the forest. Legion deployed centrally and I committed to the forest.


:: Game ::

Lylyth tried to kill dug in Trenchers but miserable rolls left them all alive.


I put up Supremacy on Trenchers because the Striders can be a real pain on feat turn. I make a mistake as I somehow think he can't commit to my hill-fort and send Lances wide right. Note that I summon Future before I move over to the woods and Past afterwards to keep the bubble as wide as possible. Rhupert provides Haley with Tough and Junior casts Shield on her.


Lylyth commits with feat. I lose Thorn and the Ironclad. One Grenadier is made stationary and a couple of Trenchers go down as well. My opponent considered going for the kill on Haley but Odds Machine put it at ~30% and she would have been super exposed in return so that's a no. The alpha is pretty solid and my stupid Lance play means that there is no solid melee retaliation.


Feat turn incoming! Max. focus on Grenadiers, one shakes Stationary. Past is within 11" of Typhon so the idea is to force hammer it and follow up with as much damage as I can. I hit the 7+ boosted roll and slam it into the Seraph for a nice 5d6 damage roll, but dice aren't on my side so there's that. Charger and Prime follow up with pow 12s and even Future spends the rest of her focus trying to help out. In the end I have to spend one of the Grenadiers as well which leaves but a single Grenadier and Trenchers to deal with the Carnivean. I couldn't get Future within 5" of it so I can't move Ragman up to apply Death Field to it as I'd be needing 7s to hit with aiming, which is too risky. It loses one aspect but that's not enough. CP 1-1.


Legion decides to focus on Lances and kill them all. The Carnivean tries to kill a Grenadier but fails, crippling only its melee weapon. CP 1-2.


I fuel the Grenadiers both max again. Future saves 3 for Revive. Ragman puts up Death Field but the first Grenadier flukes a lot as it fails to kill the Carnivean. This leaves the Trenchers to get the job done and luckily they manage it so the last Grenadier is free to shoot. I get a couple of good scatters and kill most of the remaining Striders. A revived Trencher contests so we move to 2-2.


My opponent is extremely low on time and the hill-fort is solid. There is a possible assassination run I suppose but he decides not to go for it but rather clear out the hill with Lylyth. She fails, miserably, and with that the game is over.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

What a dicey game. The Lance move was terrible. I'm just so used to them dying easily to Legion and I'm sick and tired of it. Ironically enough I think the solution here is probably to keep them behind my main lines, as I have made a habit out of doing otherwise, from where they can counter-punch hard. After discussing with fellow Cygnar players it might even be legit to AS them up and have them help out in Fort Haley duty as well.

The hill-fort won me the game easily. It was close and my opponent forgot a crucial Wraithbane or two. We had some dice swings on both sides but all in all I think it evened out.

I win on time here, strictly speaking, but I may well have been in a position to win on attrition regardless, if scenario had not gone too fast. I had 3 lights left on pretty much all systems go and he was down to Seraph, Naga and Bolter. I am pretty sure my echoes + Prime do more work than Lylyth3 as well. In any case it was very close and I learned a valuable lesson re: Lances vs Lylyth3!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar