mandag 10. oktober 2016

Battle Report #320: Haley3 vs Absylonia2

:: Prologue ::

A Legion caster I've been curious about how Haley3 plays into is Absylonia2. I keep hearing stories from my Legion-playing friends of how she tends to solve a lot of the matchups they otherwise struggle with. Today I got the chance to play against her and was happy to be able to field Haley3!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
Absylonia2
- Carnivean - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 19)
- Carnivean - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Proteus - PC: 19
- Raek - PC: 8
- Raek - PC: 8
- Seraph - PC: 14
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1
The Forsaken - PC: 4
Strider Deathstalker - PC: 4
Hellmouth - Hellmouth & 3 Tentacles: 6

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Take and Hold and I went first. I deployed symmetrically so as to respond to his deployment.


:: Game ::

With the Hellmouth on the left I wanted to put the pressure on ASAP. I run a Grenadier behind the obstacle in the middle so he can't pull me in and the second Grenadier runs onto the hill. They are both crammed with Trenchers. Prime casts Tactical Supremacy on Trenchers because I might need cloudwall top of 2 to deny Abby alpha hunter. Lances swing left. I intend to flank with them if needed. I take care to keep them out of pull range.


A tentacle kills a Trencher, beasts run up and Raeks start flanking.


Past assigns 3 focus to Grenadiers, Future assigns 1. Prime upkeeps Supremacy. Junior kills the tentacle engaging my front-most Grenadier and they both blast the Hellmouth, taking it out. Trenchers cloud up (1 was revived), back off and make sure to have Grenadiers covered. With the left flank ignored I send the Storm Lances back again for counter-charge positions. If he doesn't want to provide me with targets I can just keep shooting after all! Besides, scenario is about to go live as well and while I have a strong position to go for it my opponent most certainly does not.


Absylonia tries to push up with her beasts. The leftmost Carnivean is placed by the Seraph so that it can see my Grenadier behind the central obstruction. It assaults and cripples its movement but nothing else. DEF18 is a thing! The Seraph tried to shoot Trenchers but failed. The Deathstalker got 1 and the rest of the beasts followed suit.


Ragman puts down Death Field, Past + Thorn + Trenchers kill Carnivean and Raek. I jam up in front of Prime to ensure nothing can get close to her. Charger + some Trenchers shoot Seraph and the Lances finish it off. The Grenadiers take out the Carnivean at the back with shooting.


Having removed 3 heavies for no loss as well as a Raek and the Deathstalker, my opponent sees no opening here at all and calls the game. 

Victory to the Swans!


:: Evaluation ::

This matchup felt a lot easier than I had anticipated. The lack of Spell Martyrs made it impossible for Abby to proc Alpha Hunter, but would it really have mattered? The problem here it feels like is that her amazing alpha has nothing to target, really. The front line is made up exclusively of expendable models and the heavy hitters are too far back, with or without +2 SPD. 

I was happy with how I managed to keep the Lances, Ironclad and Thorn in relevant positions here yet behind where the action happened. The Lances in particular managed to stay relevant throughout the game and I didn't commit them out on a flank where it's often so hard to get work out of them. 

The Echos are amazing here since Absylonia literally has no good answers to them. On top of my inherent attrition advantage they probably enable scenario plays as well. Between Repudiate and Force Hammer Abby needs to be careful to stay alive as well. 

Haley3 keeps impressing me. She also shows how solid she is vs Legion in general. Sure some of their casters are problematic for her but this was a big relief in my book. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar