lørdag 22. oktober 2016

Battle Report #328: Haley3 vs Makeda2

:: Prologue ::

I know that Skorne is universally regarded to be -the- weakest faction in the game right now. While I can see why people might feel this way, I don't quite agree. They are weak, don't get me wrong, but they have one powerbuild which is actually very strong: Makeda2 with Ferox spam, or kitkat which I usually call it. The Ferox are the only cavalry models in the game surpassing our Storm Lances in my opinion and once you stack Dodge, Tough and Stay Death on them (not to mention Dash and Makeda2 feat) they become a true nightmare.

I have for some time wanted to try Haley3 into this list. Partly because I think Haley2 struggles a lot with it (she sheer assassination potential alone is a big problem for her), but also partly because I'm not that big of a fan of relying on Haley2 into Skorne at all. Rasheth's Castigate for example screws Thorn over utterly while the combination of Agonizer + Feat means the Stormwall will be rather pillowfisted. As such, getting a couple of games in with Haley3 was just what the doctor ordered!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
(Makeda 2) Supreme Archdomina Makeda [+24]
- Basilisk Krea [7]
- Tiberion [22]
Praetorian Ferox (max) [21]
Praetorian Ferox (max) [21]
Paingiver Beast Handlers (min) [5]
Mortitheurge Willbreaker [4]
Mortitheurge Willbreaker [4]
Tyrant Rhadeim [9]
Tyrant Commander & Standard Bearer [6]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We were playing Recon and I got first turn. To be honest I don't think turns matter that much in this matchup and I'll revisit this further down the report. In any case I set up for the long game, patiently waiting for my opponent to commit. I've become a big fan of keeping my Lances non-committed deployment-wise and opted for a a symmetrical deployment here.


:: Game ::

I don't bother with clouds because he can't reach me with anything anyway. Charger takes the left flank. Lances move up on both flank, stretched but ready for whatever's needed.


Ferox start moving up and spread out. Support gets in position.


This is kind of my point from deployment on why I don't think turns matter too much. Sooner or later I get all set up with clouds blocking everything off and the Ferox within range of engaging me. The Charger does kill a cat this turn due to my opponent placing it just outside of Makeda's command range but nothing else happens. I simply implicitly threaten scenario if he doesn't commit and I think this is how Haley3 should play this matchup. My only worry now is that he can get too much work done on me.


Kitkats move in but there is no feat. They kill 5 Trenchers. I originally thought feat would be the best choice here but he can't really connect with anything important anyway. If anything the Trenchers are more in my way to be honest.


What happens when 9 kitkats with tough, dodge and stay death on 6 fury crash into Haley3 lines? You load up your jacks on focus from Prime + Future, let Past go to town, apply Distortion as well as you can and let it rip. The result?


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Prior to this game I was hoping that Haley3 would be able to do pretty much exactly what I did here. The volume is too high for the Ferox and the tons of independent activations combined with a clusterfuck of a combat means that neither dodge, tough nor stay death is enough. This game helped me convince that Haley3 is a very solid counter to this list, which I am obviously very happy with.

What could Makeda conceivably have done? With a proper setup she might be able to get more Ferox onto more important targets. She could possibly have had one unit engage one flank, kill the trenchers in front and then reposition away and then follow up with the second unit to get to more juicy stuff. With feat she might just be capable to deliver this. However, the problem is that there aren't really much "juicy stuff" to go for. The Ironclad perhaps but that opens up a lot more for the Lances (which were way too far behind here for him to effectively engage), if he can even get to it at all.

Steamrolling Skorne might not be the hardest thing in Mk. 3 but having struggled with kitkat previously I was relieved to experience how well Haley3 handles this.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar