torsdag 22. desember 2016

Battle Report #380: Haley3 vs Lylyth3

:: Prologue ::

My regular Legion opponent had asked for a Haley3 game today so I obliged. Lylyth3 vs Haley3 is a very taxing matchup to play. It's dicey, explosive and requires 100% attention to detail from deployment onwards. No time to build anything up, it's go time from the clock starts. That being said, it's interesting, feels close and can definitely swing both ways.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley3) Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
Lylyth3
- Succubus
- Typhon
- Carnivean
- Naga
- Bolter
- Seraph
2x Shepherd
Forsaken
Ogrun Bokur
Striders
- UA

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Outlast. I win the roll-off. Opponent gives me a wood between the zones, somewhat on my side. I eye it immediately as fort Haley/junior material. I also have a cover piece I can use and subsequently advance to a hill in the middle of the zone. Good start! Also: Haley3 list made it through errata unscathed. Awesome!


:: Game ::

Trenchers and Grenadiers move up and dig in. I place as much as I can within Temporal Distortion.


Striders take out 4 (!) Trenchers. Lylyth and Bolter take out 2 Lances.


As per usual in this matchup it comes down to an all-in turn. The Typhon is positioned so that I can slam it out of Wind Wall and follow up with shooting from Grenadiers. I pre-measure a ton of stuff, make plans to advance with everything else as well and feat.

Past rolls triple 1s for Force Hammer. Prime has 4 after having allocated. Lol. No distortion for me. I actually concede the game here because I figure there's no way I can get enough work done the way things are now. Considering the circumstances however we have "nothing better to do" (read: no-one else to play and not enough time to start a new game) so we play it out.

Prime hits her Force Hammer. Future moves up and the shooting begins. Typhon dies and the bolter loses its Body. The Lances assault. I am hoping to get a hit on the bolter to fry the Shepherd behind so it cannot be healed unless Lylyth gets to work. It fails. Ironclad runs up so all of my jacks are aggressively placed. Tons of models to kill, but no Temporal Distortion.


Lylyth receives Wraithbane and goes for Echoes. I had blocked up Prime sufficiently to deny assassination angles, placing Junior pretty far up to let the Charger get work done and be a juicy target to distract from echoes and Prime.

However Lylyth gets greedy and tries to get both. She gets neither. This sets up for a disastrous turn as there are no options left to kill either of the echoes and Lylyth has done nothing to help the remains of her army attrition. The Carnivean kills the Ironclad and badly mangles Thorn, but that's about it really.


I'll let this picture speak for itself:


There is unfortunately one final angle here for Prime, and that is the Seraph moving up to try and shoot her. I've been greedy so Prime is at 0 focus. The Seraph receives Wraithbane and gets 3 shots, but dice don't co-operate and Prime lives. Legion concedes.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

A classic game in this matchup, showing the strengths, weaknesses and nail-biters from both sides well.

Losing 4 Trenchers bottom of 1 hurt. Striders are a fucking pain. Perhaps it's worth throwing out Tactical Supremacy and clouding up for actually. If I go aggro turn 2 the Trenchers will likely run anyway so the reduced advance distance hardly matters.

The feat turn is a legit angle to go for. Unfortunately I messed up focus allocation. Should've been better. Future doesn't need to do work here I think, at least not as much. That lets Prime have 6, just in case. The moral of the story is to keep playing. I do believe my opponent could have made significant better plays than go for Echoes on his feat turn. If he just cripples the Ironclad + Thorn and kill Trenchers + Junior with stationary hits on Lances I think it's game. Echoes are strong but they were in no position to get back from such an attrition advantage here.


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar