torsdag 22. desember 2016

Battle Report #383: Sloan vs Kaelyssa

:: Prologue ::

Last game of the day and my last game for a short while. Christmas is upon us (yay!) and I'll be away for some days.

I was playing Sloan into Kaelyssa on Extraction. Kaelyssa with dude spam. Lol.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Sloan 1) Captain Kara Sloan [+28]
- Hunter [11]
- Hunter [11]
- Hunter [11]
- Hunter [11]
- Hunter [11]
- Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator [4]
Rangers [9]
Trencher Infantry (max) [16]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [4]
Gun Mage Captain Adept [5]
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen [10]
Opponent:
Kaelyssa
- 2x Banshee
- Discordia
2x Arcanist
Max Sentinels
- UA
Max Sentinels
- UA

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

Kaelyssa gets first turn. Again, I want a skewed setup. I can't handle two units of Sentinels at once. I elect to skew on the side opposite where his Sentinels have to cross double rough terrain. This leaves me with the "fast" Sentinels first, hopefully letting me handle them in waves.


:: Game ::

Kaelyssa runs everything up, full speed. Sentinels on the right receive Blur. Good call, otherwise I could feat to try and take them out immediately.


I figure the two Banshees are worth going for. I feat but dice don't agree and one survives on quite a few boxes. I'm a little too passive with both Alexia and Trenchers.


Both units of Sentinels run up with mini-feats.


I've gotta kill Discordia. This means I can't kill any Sentinels because I can't tank Vengeance.


Turn 3 and not a single Sentinel has died. They are starting to make an impact. On the bright side Alexia is getting souls. Retribution moves to 2-0.


Undead recursion start to turn the tide on the Sentinels but they are so many and my Risen are so weak! One Thrall is summoned to run and contest.


Grind goes on. I start to lose Hunters. It's ok, I just need to buy time and I'm happy to keep the other Sentinels away for now. 3-0.


I kill off most of the remaining blue Sentinels. I'm getting somewhere, but I'm not sure it's fast enough. A Thrall charges the Arcanist on the flag but misses.


Sentinels are done clearing back lines. 4-0.


I kill the 2 Sentinels near the objective and as many other Sentinels as I can. Alexia has a ton of Risen and I use some to block off LoS whereas the rest run to contest.


I've put up one hell of a fight, courtesy of Alexia. However the Risen aren't numerous enough, Sentinels with Vengeance wreak a heavy toll on them and wipe out enough for Retribution to score the 5th CP and win a very long and grindy game.

Sadly, a Loss for the Swans. 

:: Evaluation ::

Obviously double Sentinels mean bad news for Sloan. Too many bodies which are too fast, tanky and dangerous. Always problematic. Alexia is fantastic and does an absolutely crazy good job of keeping the tide at bay. Ironically I would've won the attrition game eventually the way this evolved. Scenario is ever present though.

My feat turn is bad in terms of dice. This is very problematic for Sloan because it cascades down. I have to spend shots on the Banshee later on, which means less shots vs Sentinels, which means more attacks (2 per model because of vengeance even). It all adds up and with this many turns it does so exponentially. This is a big reason of why I'm not a fan of casters like Sloan to begin with: So much hinges on your dice not being slightly below average when you make the ranged alpha. It's unforgiving, quite simply.

An interesting set of games today and lots of learning points and list variants to contemplate!


Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar