torsdag 29. desember 2016

Battle Report #384: Haley3 vs Tanith

:: Prologue ::

Got in a game of Haley3 vs Tanith yesterday. This was likely my last game in 2016! The scenario was Take and Hold and my opponent chose Tanith because his pairing had Una2 without a Pureblood. I guess I can empathize.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley3) Major Prime Victoria Haley - WJ: +25
- Haley Past
- Haley Future
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Grenadier - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Thorn - PC: 13 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Ironclad - PC: 12
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 4
- Charger - PC: 9
Ragman - PC: 4
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord - PC: 4
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Trencher Infantry - Leader & 9 Grunts: 16
Opponent:
Tanith
- Woldwrath
- Winter Argus
- Argus
- Pureblood
Reeves of Orboros
- UA
2x Sentry Stones
2x Shifting Stones

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

I got to choose sides so I picked a side with nicely packed defensive terrain. Awesome! The plan was to brick up centrally and use the Grenadiers to apply pressure to whatever came close.


:: Game ::

Circle runs up.


This is how you play Haley3! Proxy much?


Having figured out how to create the traffic jam I wanted I spent a few minutes moving everything in place. I emptied Prime's focus to get up Distortion and Supremacy.


Circle keep advancing. A mannikin is sacrificed so the Woldwrath can create a huge 5" no-go zone for my Trenchers. The Pureblood moved up for a cheeky play, forgetting Ragman has sac pawn!


A huge clusterfuck of a turn. The Ironclad can charge the Pureblood so initially I plan for this to start the piece trade. Half-way through this plan I realize I can just shoot it and keep the Cloudwall! Awesome, don't even need to feat.

Due to a bit of marker mess-up I wasn't aware that the Pureblood had Admonition so since I didn't feat I couldn't Repudiate it. I moved Past to get it in range of Temporal Distortion and it moved away. Christ. This messed up my cloud-wall plans something aweful but at least my Grenadiers still got the job done and killed the annoying wolf. I put up what clouds I could and positioned everything to counter-attack whatever came in return.


Reeves advance and start shooting. Surprisingly little damage, the Storm Lances bear the worst of it. One Reeve messed up its positioning and this meant that the Woldwrath couldn't charge my Grenadier on the right any longer. It had to simply shoot instead. Tanith feated but despite Circle's best efforts I was more or less unharmed.


I mop up the Woldwrath, most of the Reeves and a Sentry Stone.


The game is effectively over so my opponent concedes.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

A fitting way to end the year: Winning! That being said, this was a mess of a game. There are so many rather bad mistakes on both sides: The Pureblood moving up like that, me not realizing the Pureblood had Admonition (I seriously blame tokens for this), the Woldwrath not getting to charge etc.

It feels like Haley3 is massively up here though, I don't really know what Tanith can do. Perhaps an early feat and slinging spells through an Argus running into the clouds is a viable approach. Once the Trenchers start being thinned out the Reeves become a lot more dangerous. Still though there are so many threats from Cygnar here and even the Woldwrath falls quickly if it gets up close and personal.

I think Una2 would be the better drop, even without a Pureblood. I suppose my opponent was worried because I had Sloan as my second list, but Sloan would steamroll Tanith even worse I believe. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar