tirsdag 7. mars 2017

Battle Report #445: Haley2 vs Doomie3

:: Prologue ::

I got in a game vs Trollbloods yesterday! I don't get to play against them nearly as much as I should have so I was very much looking forward to the game.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25], Storm Division, Fuel Cache
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [0]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Firefly [8]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Opponent:
Theme: The Power of Dhunia
3 / 3 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army
Fuel Cache - Steamroller Objective
Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet & Scroll Bearers - WB: +26
- Hoarluk Doomshaper, Dire Prophet & Scroll Bearers (Cont.)
- Dire Troll Mauler - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Mulg the Ancient - PC: 19 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)
- Earthborn Dire Troll - PC: 15
- Troll Axer - PC: 10
- Storm Troll - PC: 9
- Storm Troll - PC: 9
- Dire Troll Mauler - PC: 15
Northkin Shaman - PC: 0
Troll Whelps - 5 Whelps: 0
Troll Whelps - 5 Whelps: 0
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes - Leader & 3 Grunts: 6
- Stone Scribe Elder - PC: 3

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Outlast and I win the roll-off. I imagine this will likely be a grind of attrition so I go first. The idea is to leverage a combination of time bomb and firepower to whittle the Trolls down before combat happens.


:: Game ::

Stuff runs up. I send Thorn ahead the full 17".


Trolls fan out in return with Storm Trolls up ahead.


I elect to go for a play on Mulg. He is outside of the Stone range so I figure some good rolls between Time Bomb and big guns can give him issues. It's a decent start but because of the Storm Trolls I don't do much else, unfortunately. I do however put some damage on the right Storm Troll through a combination of Hand Cannons (Junior and Haley) and the small guns on the 'wall.


The Earthborn runs up to engage Laddermore and the Firefly. Stormtrolls move up to claim space (the left one was moved after I took the picture). Doomie feats.


Given my opponent's position I have to counter-feat. Too many bad boys too close to me. That's ok though, I can has plans. The idea is to TK Laddermore and the Firefly away, TA the Stormwall and then throw the Earthborn on a pod to get it out of feat range. This all works out decently well, however he survives on a couple of boxes. I try and have Laddermore finish him off but she fails and he has a single box left. I contemplate whether I should commit the Lances on the left to try and whittle down the Storm Troll or shoot the Earthborn. I go for the latter, which proves to be a terrible play because he's immune to all elemental damage. Lolz.


Mulg moves to jam Lances. Doomie goes for a repudiate + stranglehold play, which doesn't let him both have enough fury for implacability -and- have camp left. He is rightfully too afraid to die so no implacability.


The lack of implacability means it's all about Haley. Even though the Stranglehold landed, I can TK one of his heavy hitters into the 'walls melee range. I can also TK Mulg to get a solid charge off with the Lances. The damage from turn 2 is almost healed back up by said Mulg, but the remaining points combined with some MVP Lances take him out. The Stormwall kills the heavy hitter and takes the last box from the Earthborn. The Lances on the left charge the Storm Troll. It survives on a few boxes, so I reposition both Lances to barely engage it at max reach, effectively locking it in place unless he wants to tank a free strike (or two).


This is looking fairly good for me. My opponent Repudiates the 'wall again and sends in the last heavy. Turns out PS20 (with stone) is a thing and he does ~50 boxes. I lose both arms but I guess I'm kind of lucky to be alive.


Crucially my opponent didn't touch the zone with the Mauler so I can has plays: Clearing out both zones should be doable and doing so allows me to go to 3-0. With the pieces left on the table that is pretty massive. I manage to do so.


My opponent tries to get a lot of work done but fails to do so and concedes the game.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

First of all: A very exciting game! Secondly, unfortunately, a big mess from me. Strategically I make a big mistake initially since I don't prioritize the Storm Trolls asap. I can have Lances charge these, be pushed 1" back by Repulsor Field and then Reposition 3" further. If needed Haley can TK them from here and there's follow-up shooting from the wall. The thing is that the Storm Trolls make it basically impossible for me to utilize my electro-shooting particularly well. They claim too much space and buy the heavies too much time. My top of 2 was spent shooting Mulg and the Lances were relatively inefficient.

I also make a couple of technical mistakes (such as running Thorn behind the 'wall and not ahead of the 'wall on my feat turn), I even let the Axer charge a Lance because I was careless with reposition under my feat (I knew very well that the Axer was outside of my feat).

I'll admit though that despite all of this, the matchup is closer than I'd have thought. My opponent made a couple of crucial mistakes as well, first and foremost letting me TK two heavies. The play for the 'wall to be Strangleheld is incredibly greedy and I don't think he could prioritize it at the moment.

This game is a classic example of how Haley has to approach a slugfest. It's all about weaving back and forth, charging in and then using her abilities to disengage and re-engage on your terms. The Troll list has 4 heavies and they are all super terrifying for the Stormwall, something the Mauler which eventually got to engage it showed quite well. A very interesting game and I learned a lot about Trolls!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar