fredag 31. mars 2017

Battle Report #472: Haley2 vs High Reclaimer

:: Prologue ::

For our second and last game of the Protectorate dojo this time around, I brought out the good ol' vanilla division because it's such a common build to face. Also, while electro leaps are problematic for HR, Idrians murder Lances no end. We were both interested to see how this would play out.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25], Storm Division, Fuel Cache
- Thorn [13]
- Stormwall [39]
- Squire [0]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (min) [12]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Firefly [8]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Opponent:
The High Reclaimer - WJ: +32
-    Eye of Truth - PC: 20 (Battlegroup Points Used: 20)
-    Castigator - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist - PC: 3
Choir - PC: 4
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
-    Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
-    Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Knights Exemplar - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
-    Knights Exemplar Officer - PC: 5
Knights Exemplar - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
-    Knights Exemplar Officer - PC: 5

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

This game we played Take and Hold. Again, I went first. The Idrians on my right preyed the Lances and the other ones preyed the Stormwall.


:: Game ::

I want to make this a slow game, which is usually fine on Take and Hold, and make long-ranged spells and leaps force HR to commit before I do. I take care to stay outside of Idrians' threat range, lessons learned!


HR shifts his forces left.


Laddermore takes a shot at the Monk. Taking him out opens the flank completely for me. I get some work done on the left with long-ranged shots, pod, leaps and spells. I stay defensively, hoping to make HR commit, somehow.


My opponent spots a cheesy play: I have accidentally left 0 models contesting my own flag so he can run the Castigator there, swarm the table and take his own flag with a running HR for a 2-0 start. Legit? We discuss the opening. I don't believe he can get to 5 before it's game over because I have my feat intact, the left flank is weak (from a PoM point of view) and there are too many electro leaps set up in too strong positions. Anyway we decide to play it out because it's crazy to try and out-scenario Haley2 on Take and Hold!


This turn plays itself basically. Engage, feat, kill stuff.


HR counter-feats Idrians but dice are poor and Haley's feat is Haley's feat. 0-3.


I get another turn of carnage and it's looking really bad for HR. The Stormwall has suffered 0 boxes.


My opponent tries to get some kind of work done, unfortunately it's not happening. He gets his 4th point...


...but he never gets the 5th.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

The game took a very weird turn bottom of 2 because of me not even remotely thinking about a scenario angle. I very much doubt HR could have set up much better for scenario so my conclusion is that the opening was not worth going for. I couldn't have said it was a trap because I was completely oblivious to the fact that it was even an angle so there's that.

Given the turn this game took I'm not sure whose favour it's in. Leaps feel better overall but the Idrians never got to put pressure on the Lances here. They need more time to set it up, specifically because the Knights and Jacks need to buy them space.

A very different game though and it was interesting to see whether the Lances could get enough work done before HR could get his 5th point. Luckily for me, they could!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar