søndag 26. mars 2017

Battle Report #470: Stryker2 vs Caine2

:: Prologue ::

For my last game this weekend I had a Cygnar mirror on my hands. My opponent found my Caine2 list to be interesting and wanted to try it out so I suggested Stryker2 as his opponent. He obliged and off we went!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
"Lightning Stryke"
Theme: Storm Division
Lord Commander Stryker - WJ: +28
- Squire - PC: 0
- Lancer - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Ol’ Rowdy - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
Major Katherine Laddermore - PC: 8
Stormblade Captain - PC: 5
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Storm Lances - Leader & 4 Grunts: 20
Stormblade Infantry - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
- Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner - PC: 2
- Stormblade Infantry Storm Gunner - PC: 2
- Stormblade Infantry Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 0
Opponent:
[Theme] Heavy Metal
(Caine 2) Captain Allister Caine [+27]
 - Ace [12]
 - Stormwall [39]
 - Squire [0]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
 - Hunter [11]
 - Hunter [11]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [0]
 - Stormclad [18]
 - Hunter [11]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The Pit and Caine moves first. I'm ok with that, I think a jamming feat and scenario play is a big victory condition for me. I deploy fairly symmetrically.


:: Game ::

Caine's things run. I kept my Blades out of Hunters' threat ranges.


I put up Arcane Shield on the left Lances. Blades Mini-feat. I pack my models up tight for Deceleration purposes.


Caine moves to the flag and starts trying to kill Blades. A combination of pretty horrible dice and ARM20 ensure I lose very few models. The Hunters and 'wall on the left try for the Lances there but ARM22 is a thing as well.


This situation is reminiscent of yesterday's game against Convergence. I'm literally given the zone for free. I think a massive jam-feat play here completely shuts Caine2 down. His Stormwall's outside of 14" of my flag so he cannot contest the flag if I can pin him down. I don't even know if he can contest the zone! As opposed to the Lucant game the jam play here sets up for a very quick scenario angle I'm pretty sure, so I go for it.

I even have a pretty sexy angle with Laddermore. She's within 13" of Caine2 and I can run up the Lancer with Positive Charge to assist her. I figure why not, he's camping 0 focus and although Bullet Dodger is a thing I can jam him down so thoroughly. Besides, MAT10. I do miss unfortunately but Caine dodges back. Probably smart. I jam almost everything I have up in his face, keeping one unit of Lances in reserve. 2-0.


My opponent clears what he can but it's too late: I go to 3-0 and with a single pod contesting the zone I can win at 5-0. Just because I went into his 'wall and killed it with Stryker2. Felt great!


Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Let's start with Caine2: This is a rough matchup for him. I think that much like my experiences with Sloan and Haley2 this becomes about controlling a flank for him. He is unable to apply the juniors properly, or for that matter even keeping the Hunters shooting. Given the map and development I think the flank near his flag is what's best to go for. Slowly wrap around and hope the 'wall can hold the center (^^) for long enough.

For me, the situation was so similar to yesterday's game. The difference was of course the scenario angle. I'm not sure I could've -not- feated in an attrition situation where I don't have a scenario play. I am possibly underestimating Deceleration. The fact is that I don't do a lot of damage with Lances against hard targets on my feat though. Even with Positive Charge, PS15 really isn't that much to write home about unboosted.

Back to the drawing board for Stryker2 lists for me. Interesting game though! A pattern seems to emerge with Heavy Metal lists where it's about securing a flank. A valuable lesson.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar