onsdag 22. mars 2017

Battle Report #460: Sloan vs Ossrum

:: Prologue ::

A couple of quick lessons discussed and it was time for a rematch. This time my opponent went second.

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
"Firing Solution"
Theme: Heavy Metal
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28 Armory
- Squire - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 28)
- Lightning Pod
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Charger - PC: 9
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 0
Opponent:
(Ossrum 1) General Ossrum [+28]
 - Grundback Blaster [6]
 - Grundback Blaster [6]
 - Grundback Gunner [6]
 - Grundback Gunner [6]
 - Grundback Gunner [6]
 - Grundback Gunner [6]
 - Grundback Gunner [6]
 - Grundback Gunner [6]
 - Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator [4]
Anastasia di Bray [3]
Eiryss, Mage Hunter of Ios [7]
Kell Bailoch [5]
Horgenhold Artillery Corps [6]
Horgenhold Artillery Corps [6]
Horgenhold Forge Guard (max) [16]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

What did I learn from last game? I think it's crucial to be in a position which forces Ossrum to feat early. As such I wanted to try a very aggressive approach this game to sort of push my list and see how much it's capable of.


:: Game ::

Hunters run for defensive terrain, 3 of them with Return Fire from Sloan. Refuge on Sloan herself, of course. Stormwall runs 10".


A couple of technical mistakes I hadn't considered: By Energizing my opponent is able to get a couple of bunnies to aim and still shoot me. This is bad and coupled with some sprays a couple of jacks take a bit of a beating. On top of this the Forge Guard jam a Hunter on my left. Ossrum feated, of course.


The plan right now is to simply withdraw. The Stormwall has to advance to contest, but I don't fear Ossrum going to 2-0 so the Hunters (barring the one which is jammed) all run back. Arlan repairs one. Stormwall puts down Covering Fires to deal with the Forge Guard I didn't kill.


With the Hunters all withdrawing my opponent wants to make a play for the 'wall, which involves Aiyana kissing and most of the shooters all targeting it. The problem is that the piece of Rubble on my right is a great stepping stone for Bunnies on Ossrum's feat turn, but the turn after that they are kinda stuck which prevents him from going after my nimble Hunters who enjoy 24x7 pathfinder.

The Forge Guard try their lock vs Covering Fire as well and 3/3 die as they try and charge the 'wall. Stupid Rhulics, didn't they see I had that area littered with bullets?


Feat turn. Tap, tap, tap! The jammed Hunter has cortex and shooty arm intact so I figure I can clear out the DEF14 Forge Guard and get more shots. I focus Bunnies in the open and am able to clear quite a bit. The Stormwall kills Aiyana with a boosted pod (crucial kill) so now I just have to hope it cannot be whittled down.


The Stormwall is indeed focused again but it's still tanky and the damage isn't critical.


I have a pretty decent assassination angle here: Throw a bunny on Ossrum. The bunny blocking the path is really low on boxes so I just need to take it out first. I decide against it and figure I can play for attrition instead. More bunnies go down and from here on out I think the game's pretty much a mop-up for me.





A bit of a moral win I guess as the 'wall goes down, but it's all good.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

I tried a rather aggressive play early on and it failed. I took too much damage and it's just plain unnecessary. The thing is that I don't need to advance very far, in fact I'm perfectly fine 22.1" away from the bunnies with my entire army. If the terrain is favourable I can look towards pushing some Hunters but really I don't think it's needed.

It's funny how this is a matchup where it's so clearly best to go second. They are rare, but I think for Sloan they are rather common. Slowing down scenario is a huge deal.

A great start for "Firing Solution" and I look forward to playing this list more!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar