fredag 31. mars 2017

Battle Report #473: Sloan vs Stryker1

:: Prologue ::

Cygnar mirror is a nightmare to figure out these days but you gotta start someplace, right? Yesterday I played a string of mirrors with a friend. First up: Sloan vs Stryker1!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
"Firing Solution"
Theme: Heavy Metal
Captain Kara Sloan - WJ: +28 Armory
- Squire - PC: 0
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Hunter - PC: 11
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 28)
- Lightning Pod
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Firefly - PC: 8
Allison Jakes - PC: 0
- Hammersmith - PC: 12
Opponent:
[Theme] Storm Division
(Stryker 1) Commander Coleman Stryker [+30]
- Firefly [8]
- Stormwall [39]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Storm Lances (max) [20]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Charger [9]
Major Katherine Laddermore [8]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

The scenario was Extraction and I won the roll-off, electing to go second. Why second? In most cases Sloan loves going second. Slows down the scenario, gives the other player a big dilemma (do you advance in range of everything? Do you give Sloan space?).


:: Game ::

Stryker is super-cautious with Lances and the 'wall is the only piece which runs high up. Stryker puts up Blur on himself and moves to cover.


I advance towards the left flank. I put up Refuge on a Hunter which shoots the 'wall and then moves back behind my objective (armory). My own 'wall runs up. I figure Stryker will feat next turn. Hammersmith defends the non-Stormwall flank. The idea is that any jamming Lances will face some serious melee power and I doubt Stryker can apply his feat that far up. I'm a little worried about all his shooting to be honest but there's not a lot I can do about it I fear.


As predicted the feat comes out. The Stormwall on the right one-rounds my Hunter (!!!) with its 2 big gun shots. Just.. Wow. On the left some shooting targets a Hunter but it's not disastrous.


I can sell the Hammersmith now to buy time. With energizer and full focus I can have it hit the Lance at the front and if 3 attacks hit (6+, two of which are boosted) I slam it into the next guy, effectively taking them both out even if they survive. I miss the unboosted 6 and no slam action. I also roll horribly for damage so a pretty shitty result. Arlan repairs a Hunter and the rest of my forces back off, apart from the Firefly which scores a point for me.


My opponent focuses on the Hammersmith and brings it very, very low. POW16 assault shots and PS15 charge attacks put some hurt even on ARM19, something I well and truly know from experience. However the shooting overall elsewhere isn't that bad.


I feat and clean a large portion of the table. I stay outside of 10" of his 'wall and wipe out tons of Lances.


At this point in time I'm 2-0 with a vast attrition lead. There are no assassination angles and since we have a lot more games we want to try out my opponent concedes and we move on.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Close game! A Hunter more down and this would've been iffy. I feel as though my opponent should've tried to abuse the combination of Blur + Cover to greater effect, trying to take the fence on the left flank on his feat turn for example. He relied too much on Arcane Shield and the Lances on the left flank indeed had Blur and thus died horribly on my feat turn.

The matchup feels even-ish. Dicey for both parts. We discussed feating top of and running full speed for Stryker. I'm not sure whether Sloan can get out of that situation or not, but in most cases I think she can swing to a flank and be fine.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar