fredag 31. mars 2017

Battle Report #471: Haley2 vs High Reclaimer

:: Prologue ::

I dojo. A lot. With most of my opponents I discuss lists every now and then. I ask them to put up stuff for me to test my lists into and I'll happily return the favour. Lately the Protectorate as a faction has struggled to find a good pair for Amon. I've been dojoing a troop spam build for HR with one of my regular opponents. This week we got to try it out, and I must say we had two very interesting games!

:: Lists ::

Cygnar:
"Technical Death Metal"
[Theme] Heavy Metal
(Haley 2) Major Victoria Haley [+25]
- Charger [9]
- Hammersmith [12]
- Stormwall [39]
- Thorn [13]
- Squire [0]
Captain Arlan Strangewayes [0]
Journeyman Warcaster [0]
- Charger [9]
Lieutenant Allison Jakes [4]
- Stormclad [18]
Opponent:
The High Reclaimer - WJ: +32
-    Eye of Truth - PC: 20 (Battlegroup Points Used: 20)
-    Castigator - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist - PC: 3
Choir - PC: 4
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
-    Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Idrian Skirmishers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
-    Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide - Chieftain & Guide: 5
Knights Exemplar - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
-    Knights Exemplar Officer - PC: 5
Knights Exemplar - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
-    Knights Exemplar Officer - PC: 5

:: Pre-Battle Thoughts & Deployment ::

We are playing Recon and I get first turn. The Idrians both AD centrally and prey the Stormwall. I run some numbers in my head and realize they are dangerous. I also figure I have to deal with them ASAP.


:: Game ::

I run stuff up. I contemplate having the 'wall outside of the Idrians' threat range but figure if they commit I might get an early feat to catch tons and then maybe pressure scenario.


The Idrians indeed go for the play. I had forgotten about Reposition which makes them a lot harder to deal with than I had thought. The rest of the Protectorate forces advance and I've lost half the 'wall in terms of boxes.


Bad start, lesson learned: Don't do that again. My opponent hasn't placed one Idrian very far back so an aggressive feat and careful target selection can wipe out the entire unit. I manage to do this and have Thorn + Hammersmith in decent positions. 


My opponent goes for the kill on the Stormwall. He comes very close but I survive on a little more than a handful of boxes. 


Arlan's within 7" so if Haley TKs him I can repair the 'wall to get all important systems working again. This enables me to probably take out Eye and maybe get some collateral damage. It will basically cost me my entire stack though so my other jacks won't be doing much lifting.

Reality check. Wall is going down. HR will probably hold his feat. I need to keep stuff intact to play the long game here. I withdraw the other jacks as best as I can and the 'wall kills Eye. I should also note that I managed to wipe out a unit of Exemplars this turn as well. A Charger angle my opponent didn't see combined with a pod took out the last ones hiding in the back.


Wall goes down, but not much else is in threat. Idrians shift Prey to Hammersmith and do a number on him.


2 positional mistakes here: Junior cannot apply Arcane where I want him to and Haley is 8.5" away from the flag. Ugh. Nevertheless I've gotta start putting some scenario pressure on my opponent so Haley casts TK + TA on herself, moves to the flag and puts out a couple of shots. With HR's feat intact I need to protect her so I get a wall of 'jacks up while the Hammersmith tries to contest, assuming it survives (Arlan healed it).


HR is within 5" of the zone but not the flag. I figure my opponent either has to run (and thus not feat) or slow the game down, or expose himself in the zone. He chooses the latter. As expected, HR's really, really exposed...


...this is Haley2 after all and a couple of TKs and a TA later we have an exposed HR and a fully-fueled Stormclad in his back.

Victory to the Swans!

:: Evaluation ::

Wow, is HR back? This game was really close and tense. In hindsight my T1 move with the 'wall was over-confident, but then again I wiped out 2 units in 2 turns and thus largely ignored HR's feat potential until it was too late for him to make an impact.

Obviously the lack of electro leaps and volume of attacks make it tricky to play against this many dudes, many of which can get back. Eye of Truth is also positively crazy against Cygnar so lots of issues here.

If this turns out to be a viable build for Protectorate then I foresee a lot of interesting games for us in the future! The list my opponent brought in this game feels legit into a lot of Cygnar armies. 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar